Saturday, January 4, 2014

1/4/14 Report - Upcoming Competition Shoot Out and Relic Hunt by CFMDC and Treasure Coast Beach Fossil


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Fossil Turtle Scute Seen With Shells 
on Treasure Coast Beach This Morning
I went out to see what happened to the beaches this morning.  As you might remember, yesterday when the wind was blowing strong out of the North, I found some new cuts.  Today they were mostly gone.  It looked like a foot of new sand accumulated where I showed the cuts yesterday.

I did find one place today where there were some cuts running for hundreds of yards.  The cuts varied from under a foot to up to seven feet.  Unfortunately all of the new erosion was in replenishment sand that was dumped there I think it was last summer.  That sand hasn't been there long anyway, so I didn't expect much to come out of it, and I didn't find much.  I did want to check it out.  It is good to know what is going on, even if it isn't good.

I did find some fossils and sea glass.   It looks like there are places where there are only a couple of feet of replenishment sand remaining.  It will be eroded back to the previous cliff before long.  So much for the tax dollars.  Someone will make some more money moving sand again.  We'll pay for it one way or another.

Above is a scute I saw today in a shell line that was exposed near the water line.  It is a nice turtle scute about 3/4 and inch wide.  It isn't anything big.  But pieces like this do frequently sell for a small amount on the internet.

Closeup of Turte Scute
Here is a closer look.  You can see what the fossilized bone looks like.

I see primarily two colors of fossils on the Treasure Coast beaches - black and brown.

James F. sent me the following.

Just letting you know our club, the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club will be having it's 2014 metal detecting competition hunts, "The Central Florida Sunshine Shoot Out and Relic Hunt," on April 5, 2014. Despite intensive care, high winds and tall grass, I managed to finish the promotional video. (James F. is the club's Director of Video Production and Distribution).
 

Here is the link to the video with all the details.  Take a look.


Good job James.


Here is a robot snowblower video.  I bet he could make a detecting robot.  Fun video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNH9jpNTfNk


I'm not expecting any improvement of the Treasure Coast beach detecting conditions any time real soon.

Happy hunting.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net