Sunday, June 7, 2015

6/7/15 Report - A Treasure Coast Fossil. Blog Demographics. Item Tracking App. Darlington Digital Research Library. Lost Mine.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Fossil Turtle Scute Necklace.

The Treasure Coast offers a variety of types of treasures.  I occasionally mention the fossils that can be found on Treasure Coast beaches.

Here is a nice fossil turtle scute found on the Treasure Coast that was drilled and turned into a necklace by somebody.

I think she has it for sale on Etsy now.

Nice use of a found object!

---

I took a look at the Google demongraphics for this blog.  I was a bit surprised.  I always assumed that at least 90 percent of the readers are male.   According to Google that is way off.  They say it is only 54 percent male.  The vast majority, not all, of the emails I receive about the blog are from males, and most of the detectorists I see on the beach are male,  I find the Google numbers hard to believe, but maybe that is how it is.

The second surprise I received was the age groups.  I once did a poll in this blog and from the responents to the blog poll indicated that on average they were an older group.  I can't find the poll results right now so I can't give the specific numbers, but here is what Google is showing.
That is certainly younger than I would have expected.  Again, it doesn't match my personal observations of the people I see detecting on the beach, however I do tend to go at times when a lot of younger people could not or would not go, and maybe also when females might not go alone.

Maybe I'll do another poll.  Maybe the detecting population has changed over the past few years. Numbers, as they say, can be deceiving.

----

Finally! A smartphone app that impresses me as being useful.  It is called TrackR.  You can put small TrackR devices on items that you want to be able to find and use it with a smartphone application that will tell you the location of the item.  Here is how it is advertised.

You can put your TrackR device on luggage, wallet, cell phone, pets, child's backpack or whatever.

If the people that got robbed yesterday at John Brooks had one of the tags in the duffle bag that was stolen, they would have been able to find the thieves real quick - if they still had their smart phone.

-----

I just ran across a great collection of digitized old history books, maps, manuscripts and images.  It is the Darlington Digital Research Library of the University of Pittsburgh.

Here is the main link.  http://digital.library.pitt.edu/d/darlington/

This collection is truly a treasure for anyone interested in U. S. History.  One of the books in his digital collection, which just happened to be the first that I looked at, is entitled Settlers of Northwest Virginia by McWhorter et al.  That book provides great reading for any history buff, but is also a great resource for good detecting leads.  It also talked about early settlers who discovered long abandoned camps and artifacts and investigated them with the same interest that you or I might exhibit today  Of course there were descriptions of battles and other adventures of the day, primarily the late 1700s, but one gem that I found in that book was a discussion of a lost mine and buried treasure.  Copies of messages on stone markers were shown along with a copy of a crude map showing the lost mine.  I'd love to investigate that if I was up there more.

The mine is referred to in the book as the Trans-Allegheny lost mine.  I am skeptical as always, but it seems the authors are respected historians.   Maybe the lost treasure exists or doesn't, and maybe it has been found.   But it only took me a short time to find a fascinating lead like that.

The same book has the following intriguing paragraph.


I haven't began to scratch the surface of this library, but I mention it to remind you that there are plenty of good research resources to be found online these days.  If you get tired of hunting the beaches, there is a great diversion or a while.  I'm sure you can find good research materials for Florida treasures too if you are so inclined.

----

It looks like we have another week very much like last week.  A one to two foot surf is predicted for the Treasure Coast for several days again.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net