Thursday, June 27, 2019

6/27/19 Report - Encrusted Objects. Older Coins and Coin Cleaning. Archaeology of Woodstock. Where Will Your Passion Take You.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Encrusted Cross and Medallions
Find and photos by John C.

Above are some encrusted finds from John C.

Thanks John.

---

1911 Cent.
I've been digging some older coins lately,  Included was this 1911 cent.  Some people call that a semi-key date, but it is too badly damaged to be worth much of anything.

1943 Steel Cent.
I also found this 1943 steel cent.

I immersed the 1946 dime I showed yesterday for about 12 more hours in the same Muriatic Acid solution.  Very little if anything more was removed.

I strengthened the solution and will immerse it for another period of time to see what that might do.

If the stronger solution doesn't do anything more, I guess the acid has done all that can be done with acid.

I still have a bunch of other coins to clean.  They are mostly in pretty bad shape.

I found a 1955 penny and hoped that it was not a double die error.  1955 pennies have some valuable double die errors, but I'd hate to find one that is in such poor condition that it isn't worth anything.  It was not an error coin - at least not that I could see.

Below is an example of a 1955 double die error penny.



---


Here is an excerpt from an article on an archaeological survey of Woodstock.

“Contemporary archaeology is a very big thing right now. Archaeologists study the past through the material things that people leave behind—things they lose or throw out,” she told Gizmodo. “Our methods are just as applicable to material discarded ten years ago as thousands of years ago and our interpretations just as applicable to contemporary issues, such as migration and refugees, human impacts on the environment, how we use urban spaces, and so on. What we produce is an interpretation of daily life and activities which is not often covered in historical documents or contemporary news reporting.”
To which she added: “Archaeology, through its focus on daily life, adds depth to, and often contradicts, mainstream history and media.” 
See https://gizmodo.com/woodstock-took-on-a-life-of-its-own-recent-archaeolo-1835839807

How is an archaeological survey of Woodstock helpful?  How does it contribute to the scientific body or knowledge or our understanding of man and the world when here are tons of photographs, video and other documentation.

Nonetheless, for somebody my age it is hard not to reminisce at the mention of Woodstock.  Woodstock was a iconic cultural event, but dose not represent much of what was going on at the time.  It is just the kind of thing that the media loves to fantasize about.

For me, there were other more important things in 1969.  Jan. 1969 I received my BA.  It was also the year I had my physical for the draft.  Student deferments were removed and I went to Fort Knox and failed my physical (1Y, not 4F).  I don't know why to this day but remember that I walked several miles back to the University of Louisville instead of waiting for the bus.  The Viet Nam war was a much bigger thing in 1969 than Woodstock.

I was introduced to computer programming in 1969.  For me that turned out to be really big.  A few hours of instruction in FORTRAN for statistical analysis was the only computer instruction I ever received.  That was before there were computer science departments or degrees in computer science.  But I enjoyed exploring and finding out what I could do with computers, and as it turned out computers became a big part of my adult life and professional career.  I did consulting and software design and development for large organizations for many years and eventually ended up teaching computer science at a university even though I never had more than a few hours of instruction myself.

I'm not just reminiscing, I'm really illustrating some general principles that I think are important.   One is the importance of timing.  I could elaborate a lot on that one, but won't.  Another important principle is taking what you enjoy and taking it to the next level.  You don't have to wait for everyone else.

---

The surf is supposed to remain nearly flat for at least another week.

I'm afraid the Atlantic must be really warming up.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net