Monday, January 9, 2012

1/9/12 Report - A Couple of Cobs & A Couple of Sunken Locomotives


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

See if you can identify this cob.

There is a lot of visible information on this one.

I posted the answers for the one I showed a few days ago below.


Here is a series of videos on the discovery and research of a couple of 18th Century locomotives found in deep water off of New York. Real interesting. Thanks to James F for submitting the link.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Deep-Sea-Detectives/97331/2179551776/Underwater-Train-Wreck/videos?cmpid=FCST_hero_tv




Below are the answers for this cob that I showed a couple of days ago.

This cob is a half reale. That could be most easily determined from the monogram.

This one is from the reign of Carlos. You can see part of the C and A of the monogram in the picture.

Judging from those that I've found on Treasure Coast beaches, I'd say you can usually only see part of the Carlos monogram and seldom any of the legend.

It is from the Mexico mint. Even though the mint mark was not visible you could tell that by the style of the cross.

The date is not visible but would be in the area of 1665 to 1700.

You can not see the assayer mark, but on a Mexican coin of this date, it could be "L" for Martin Lopez, who worked at the Mexican mint from 1677 to 1705.


If you like these cob ID posts, I'll keep doing them from time to time.

I was thinking back over the year about some of the mystery objects that I finally feel that I have identified. There are some that I've had for quite a while and finally think I know what they are thanks in no small part to the readers of this blog. There are however still some that I've had a long time and still don't feel like I know what they are. Maybe I'll repost some of those. Some of the others were posted more than once before they were positively identified. And of course, I'll post some new mystery items from time to time.

The wind is from the east/southeast and there isn't much of it. The seas are relatively calm, and that will be the case most of the week.

It is almost like summer again even though temperatures are a little cooler. There will surely be some more cold fronts in the next couple of months.


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net