Friday, November 16, 2012

11/16/12 Report - Special Returned Ring & Miscellaneous Finds


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


It is always good to hear about one of the many rings or other items that are returned.   We hear about some of those, but not the vast majority.

I was glad to receive an email from Chris B. providing a link to an article about a Vietnam vet who lost a special ring 41 years ago while swimming in a lake.  The ring was found and returned by a detectorist who was detecting a lake bottom after the water was lowered. 

Here is the link to that article.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/12/vietnam-vet-gets-back-ring-lost-in-171/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2CQPXkATt

Chris,who submitted the link, said he reads this blog daily even though he doesn't live near a beach and rarely gets a chance to detect.

Chris said,

I am an Army officer with a wife and three boys (two still at home, one in the Air Force) and we move about every 2-3 years, unfortunately rarely near a beach. In the last two years, we've been close enough to make trips to the Treasure Coast, which we think is the best "family" friendly beach area in the state. We tried searching the beach areas from public accesses in Melbourne Beach, Indiatlantic, and down near Sebastian Inlet. We didn't find anything but some old pop tops, but enjoyed looking anyway.

Several years ago, when we lived in Arizona, my dad gave me an inexpensive metal detector to look for gold in the mountains. We didn't have too much luck with it, but my boys and I really enjoyed using the detector and searching together. Someday, probably after I retire, I hope to learn more about detecting and teach my boys...

I read your blog everyday, even though I don't live near a beach and very rarely do any detecting. First, let me say that I thoroughly enjoy your blogs! Thanks for the time, effort, and research you put into these blogs, I am learning a lot about detecting and enjoying "detecting vicariously" through you and the members of your forum!

I ran across this story on Fox News this morning and thought of how many times you have mentioned the positive side of detecting that often gets neglected in public reporting. As a Veteran, it also meant a lot to me that a detectorist went to so much trouble to find the owner and return the ring... it would have been much easier to just sell it for scrap gold, and with the economy the way it is now that might have been understandable.

...

Sorry this was so long, I've been meaning to write and say thanks for awhile now but the Army keeps me busy and I sometimes don't get everything done that I intended.

Thanks to you Chris!  Not only for the link but also for your service and the kind and thoughtful sentiments you expressed.

The recent benefit cookout that many of you supported in different ways shows the kind of people that are part of the treasure hunting community.  We don't hear about the vast majority of the items that are returned.

Chris' email also made me think about many of the benefits of detecting including  family, friends, fun, as well as finds, not to mention the adventure and education.   Sometimes it is good to slow down and reflect on the bigger picture and the more important things in life.


St. Ann Medallion.
Here are  few miscellaneous old Treasure Coast beach finds.

First a religious medallion that on the other side has more crust but also some remaining gold gilt.


Silver and Onyx Cross Medallion
Second, a silver and onyx cross.

And third, an unusual shaped ring with missing stone.




Unusual Ring.









The swells along the Treasure Coast are around three to five feet today, decreasing just a little the nest two days.

The wind will remain from the east.

I'm surprised at how long the tides have been relatively high.   We've had fairly high tides for a couple of months now.  I'm still waiting for a good low tide.

Detecting conditions along the Treasure Coast remain poor for finding shipwreck cobs and treasure coins.

I got a late start today. 

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net