Sunday, July 6, 2014

7/6/14 Report - Two of My Top Three All Time Favorite Detectors, Flipping Coins, New Regulations On Taking Batteries On a Plane & Old Meteorite


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

One of my favorite all-time top three detectors.

A few of you might remember this detector.  It is one of my top three favorite detectors of all time.


Below is another of my top three all time favorites.




The one below is based upon Nautilus circuitry which was modified and put in a water proof case.

I had a few of these.  After trying my first one just a few times, I called the guy that made it and ordered another so I would have a backup of the same type.

Another one of my favorite all-time top three detectors.
This was my first modified detector.  Before I got it I was using primarily an out-of-the-box Fisher detector.

The first coil I had for this one was super hot.  The later ones, not quite as good.

I had an 18 inch coil for it that I used a little, but not much.

These two detectors worked pretty much the same.  The Nautilus didn't require ground balancing though.  Both nulled over iron.

These detectors were both very good on gold, were deep seeking, and would detect very small pieces of gold which is what I was targeting, and both worked well for that purpose.

When I first started detecting I kept track of my coin count, but after a while I targeted modern gold and wasn't much interested in coins or how the detector did on coins.  It seemed to me that the detectors that could detect small or deep gold exceptionally well also detected coins and other things fairly well too.  I didn't care much about finding other things, but did use other objects as information to point me towards gold.  Gold is often found near concentrations of other items, so if you know how things are accumulating, knowing where different things are will help point you to the gold.


Bill P. wrote in to say that when foot fanning, which I talked about yesterday, objects can get set on edge and therefore give off a more faint or no signal.   Certainly true!   Thanks Bill.

If you take a coin and lay it flat and then run your coil over it and then compare the signal with the same coin set on edge you will hear the difference in the signal.

When foot fanning in moving water it is easy enough for the object to fall out of the scoop and end up on the slope of the hole or back in the bottom of the hole on edge.   If you find that the signal has disappeared that is a good possibility.   If you've checked around the outside and inside of the hole and can not longer find the target, fan some more in the hole to uncover the object or flip it over or both.

It is always a good thing to experiment with your detector.   See what happens to the signal when you take an object and put it in various positions, including standing on edge.

Also, a broken gold ring will give a much more faint signal than a whole gold ring.


Things can get caught up in sea weed.  The other day an ear ring that I found was caught in sea weed which was buried under sand.  Chains will also get tangled in sea weed sometimes.



I've heard that TSA is being more particular about batteries and has some new limits on the batteries you can take through security.

Here is some of what one web site says about that.

...  As for exactly what you're allowed to bring onto the plane, it all has to do with the actual amount of lithium contained in the each battery. According to the new government rules:
The new lithium quantity limits apply to both your spare and installed batteries. The limits are expressed in grams of "equivalent lithium content." Eight grams of equivalent lithium content is approximately 100 watt-hours; 25 grams is approximately 300 watt-hours.




  • Under the new rules, you can bring batteries with up to 8 grams of equivalent lithium content. Most lithium ion batteries in cell phones and laptop computers are below this quantity threshold.
  • You can also bring up to two batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold.
  • For a lithium metal battery, whether installed in a device or carried as a spare, the limit on lithium content is 2 grams per battery.

  • The bottom line for travelers is most consumer-type lithium batteries are permitted. Very large, professional batteries are a different story. If you are unsure, contact the device's manufacturer

    Here is the source link.

    http://www.thestreet.com/story/10396317/1/dont-lose-your-batteries-to-airport-security.html

    Don't ask me to clarify that.

    Just thought I'd make you aware of the issue.

    It seems like extra laptop batteries and things like that are going to be a problem.  I don't know if that might cause a zealous agent to give you a harder time over detector batteries or not.


    Scientists discovered a meteorite fragment at the site of a 9000 year-old hut.

    http://www.naukawpolsce.pap.pl/en/news/news,400865,archaeologists-discovered-a-meteorite-fragment-in-a-9-thousand-years-old-hut.html

    They figured some fellow fancied the unusual stone.

    This is one of those types of things that I like to playfully think about.   Maybe the thing crashed through the roof of his hut one night.  That could have caused more of a stir than just stumbling upon a funny stone with the other finds of the day.  It could have either been seen as a sign from God, or, maybe the fellow just muttered, "What the heck," and casually went about his business and then one of the kids put it with the other stones.  Who knows?

    In a few days the surf on the Treasure Coast is predicted to increase a little, but not much.

    Happy hunting,
    TreasureGuide@comcast.net