Saturday, October 18, 2014

10/18/14 Report - 1853 One Dollar Gold Mounted Gold Coin Find. Discrimination For The Discriminating Detectorist. Importance Of Knowing The Range Of Trash At A Site.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesereport.BlogSpot.com.


Other Side Of The Gold Coin I Showed Yesterday.

This is the other side of the mounted cold coin find that I showed yesterday.

The photo is a little grainy for some reason, but if you look at the coin closely you can see a small mark on the coin made by one of the prongs.  I talked about that as being one reason you might not want to mount some coins.

The 1853 1 Dollar coin was minted in high numbers, and as a result is often found mounted in jewelry.  Another common and frequently mounted gold coin is the Mexican Dos Pesos.  I've mentioned that before.

-----------------------

Occasionally I mention a gadget that I have found very useful.  One of those is an inexpensive battery tester.  I really get a lot of use out of mine.

---------------------------------

Yesterday I wrote about using the pulse delay setting to discriminate when using a pulse induction metal detector.  When I publish a post I almost always leave something out.   There are always some ifs, ands, and buts that I don't include.  My posts are too short to include everything.  It would be an endless post if I stated all of the relevant details.

Anyhow, concerning yesterday's post, one thing I might have mentioned is that the exact settings of the pulse delay will depend to some extent upon the specific item and the type of ground you are working. 

The thin gold ring that I talked about as an example was the same gold ring that you saw in my video a few days ago.  And  I was talking about your typical Treasure Coast beach without black sand.

Here is one other thing I'll add to that discussion.   At most sites there are only one or two types of trash that make up the vast majority of trash.

At many old sites the predominate type of trash will be iron and nails.

At other sites it might be aluminum and pull tabs, and at other sites it might be bottle caps.  Of course pull tabs and bottle tops are typical of picnic beaches.

At older sites that have been continuously used over the years you might have layers of all types of trash.

Discrimination can be more effective when one or two types of trash predominate a site.  When that is the case you only have to discriminate a small range of targets to dramatically improve detecting conditions.   If the predominant type of trash is bottle tops, increasing the pulse delay on a pulse induction detector can be fairly effective.

At sites where the predominate trash is iron and nails, a detector such as the Excalibur can discriminate fairly effectively.

In situations like those that I've been talking about, notch discrimination or target ID can be very helpful.  In those cases, you don't need to discriminate out more than a narrow range of trash targets, and that allows the use of discrimination while reducing (not entirely eliminating) the risk of missing good targets.

Before settling on the type of detector and discrimination, you first need to know what type of trash is there and what type is not there.  If you run around using a lot of discrimination right off the bat, you might not even find out what is at the site worth discriminating.

Despite everything I just said, I will still warn you about the dangers of using discrimination and suggest the alternative of simply removing the trash.  I can't get into all of the reasons for that right now.

If you have adequately analyzed a site and determined that the site is worth detecting, it should be worth detecting thoroughly, otherwise consider simply moving on to another site that is worth detecting well.

If  you are just out to pass some time or make a few easy finds, I understand using liberal discrimination, but if you suspect that a site might hold something good or if the site is good enough that you intend to hunt it on a continuing basis, I strongly suggest digging everything.


I just remembered something that I forgot to mention the other day when I talked about working the washing machine.  I used no discrimination and only dug one trash item while digging quite a few good targets.  I'll have to follow up on that another day.

------------------------------------------------

Gonzalo battered Bermuda.  Here is a link.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/After-Gonzalo-An-Island-Battered/344610883956/Comcast/Today_in_Video/?cid=hero_sf_TIV

------------

The weather is beautiful.  The tides are pretty flat.  There is not much of a low tide.

The surf is about the same on the Treasure Coast now, but they are still predicting a 5 - 7 foot surf Sunday the 26th.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@Comcast.net