Thursday, November 20, 2014

11/20/14 Repor - Small Mystery Copper Find. Some Tips On Cold Weather Clothes That Are Good For Beach Detecting


Written by the Treasure Guide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Big Diamond Ring Found
Find and photo by Robert H.



You never know when something really nice will pop up.  Here is a diamond ring (estimated at 1.5 to 2 karat) found by Robert H.

Congratulations Robert.  Great Find!

Thanks for sharing.








Small Copper Object Found Yesterday
Yesterday I dug a few small items in addition to coins.  Here is one very small copper item.  It appears to have the remains of a little silver gilt on it.  I have no idea what it is and will probably never know.

When I dug it I thought it was a percussion cap, which I've found at that beach in the past.

There were a lot of slivers of iron at the same beach.  It helps to know how to identify those if you are using a pulse detector.  I showed how to identify pieces of iron like that in previous posts.

More Concave Side of Same Object

When I went out to the beach yesterday there wasn't anyone out there.  It was a little chilly, so I had some cold weather gear on even though it wasn't really all that bad.

I thought I'd recommend some of my favorite clothes for cooler weather.

First, there are pants made for fishing that are really great.  They are made by Reel Legends.  I got mine at Bealls online.

They have a lot of pockets.  I mean really a lot.  But the best thing is that the pockets are different sizes and some have a zipper, others have Velcro, and there are attachments where you can clip things, such as key chains or whatever.

I love those pants for detecting.  They are light weight and have a zipper on the legs, so if you get hot, they can be converted to shorts.  The zippers are nylon and do not corrode from salt water.

You can stick finds of different types and sizes in the different pockets, also cameras, cell phones etc. and keep them securely.  I love the variety of pockets.


When it is cold I also like to wear a hoody with a large enough hood to get both ear phones and a hat inside the hood.  That cuts down on a lot of the wind chill.   On many hoodies the hood isn't large enough to fit over ear phones.

Gloves are a good idea.  Your hands can get nipped by the wind especially after you get them wet.

I generally don't bundle up much.  It seems I can take cool weather better than most Floridians, and even a of of snow birds that are accustomed to a warm house and warm clothes.  Our wind and humidity makes it the cold go right through you.

The wind is still from the North today.  I'm sticking with my minimal "2" Treasure Coast beach detecing conditions rating.

I'm sure you will be able to find some good spots for modern era items at some of the busier tourist beaches.  I wouldn't be surprised if a few older items might pop up.




Happy hunting
TreasureGuide@comcast.net