Friday, December 27, 2019

12/27/19 Report - A Couple Recent Treasure Coast Gold Finds. Reflections On My YouTube Videos.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

14K Gold Pendant With Nice Looking Stone.
I've mentioned a few times that I've been on the ring trail lately.  I have been finding a lot of rings, but they've been junk.  Finally I got off of that trail and found a couple better items.

I also mentioned that I've been finding beaches with good numbers of modern coins.  They've been the non-shipwreck beaches.  While I haven't found any tightly packed coins spots or holes, there have been good numbers of coins scattered over beach front areas.  When you pick up enough coins eventually you'll get something better.

The pendant is marked 14K, but I don't know what the stone is yet.

When you find a pendant, look for the chain.  It might be broken.

I also found the following bracelet.


14K Bracelet Find.

I was trying out my new waterproof ear-phones that I got for Christmas.  They seem to work fine.

It reminds me of one year after I picked up a new Sovereign in Orlando, and on the way home stopped to test it out and found a gold crucifix just north of Ambersands.  Always nice to find gold the first day you have a new detector out.

---

I made a few YouTube videos, but not many.  One of the first, if not the first, I posted back in 2011.  I forgot about it but yesterday was notified of a comment.  The title of the video is Beachcombing for Fossils and Sea Glass.  The description is, "A walk along the beach on the Treasure Coast of Florida where a few fossils and pieces of sea glass were found."  I just wanted to show how you could walk along the beach and eye-ball interesting things.

After forgetting about the video, I was surprised to see there were 11,854 views, as of yesterday and 49 thumbs-up and 48 thumbs-down.  I was really surprised to see how many people had viewed the video, especially since  I didn't do anything to promote it.  11,000 isn't really very many, but for something I pretty much forgot about, it seemed like a good many especially considering that it certainly wasn't very good.  I just wanted to try it out, and I failed at one big thing I attempted to do with it.

Not having made any videos of that type before, whenever I bent over to pick up a fossil or piece of sea glass, my camera veered away from whatever I was picking up.  I didn't know that was happening and didn't intend for it to happen, but one person thought I was being intentionally evasive.  I wasn't.  It was just my first attempt to do something like that, and it was difficult to keep the camera focused on the target while looking at the object and bending down to pick it up.

Despite my crude first attempt at point-of-view videography, the video received what I would consider a lot of views and a few comments, mostly negative, but there were 49 thumbs up and 48 thumbs down.  It seems that some people saw some value in the video even though I failed to show the fines well.  I don't know exactly what people liked, but some evidently enjoyed something about it.

Cloverfield is a movie I like, mostly because of the innovative P.O.V. way that it was shot.  It was shot from the point of view of one of the characters using a personal video camera to capture what he saw just like a normal person would under extremely stressful circumstances.   It didn't have the feel of most movies, which have carefully planned shots, and I liked and admired the different approach.

All I intended to do was do was show what I saw as I walked along looking for fossils and sea glass.  I succeeded in that to a very limited extent, but completely failed to get the closeups of the finds.  Perhaps the careful viewer could get a glimpse of some of the fossils or sea glass, but it was difficult at best.

I suspect that some of those that gave a thumbs up to my video liked the walk along the beach, and perhaps getting a look at a Treasure Coast beach with some shells and other things scattered along.

I found out that there were many similar videos of people walking the beach looking for sea glass, but they were able to clearly show what they picked up.  Maybe being in with that group of videos is what drew so many viewers to my video.  I don't really know much about YouTube, especially promotion, but since I didn't promote it much, it seems that views can come easily if you just have something out there.

I do not think I understand most of those who made comments.  Maybe a few were trying to be helpful.  Obviously they didn't find what they were looking for, but I don't know why they were expecting much more than what they got, if they were.  No one asked them to watch or told them to watch.  There was no cost to watch.  Not even an ad.   It was their choice alone, and I don't think the title or description was deceptive. So I just can't say what they were looking for - other than something for nothing.  I think some of them must be like the people that like to honk car horns.
They just like to be heard or something.  In any case, the comments seem to be emotive more than informative.  Maybe they got something off their chest.

Another interesting thing to me is how the thumbs-up and thumbs-down were almost equal in number.  People see things differently.  Different people will see the same thing different ways.  They bring their own perspective and predispositions, to the video or post and that determines what they get out of it.  It takes two to tango, and at least two to communicate.  A message requires both a transmitter and receiver, and the originator of the message can not determine the interpretation or how much the recipient will get out of the message.

What I learned is that YouTube videos can accumulate views by just being out there, and that some people will enjoy a video while others will not.  That part was not new to me, but I was actually trying to figure out what people liked about a video that in my opinion wasn't very good.

Maybe in the future I'll try to make more videos although I generally prefer text.  I seldom find a video that I like, and when I do look at one, I usually find myself quickly skipping over most of it.  But that is just me.

I might make some more videos in the future, but they probably won't be what most people want to see.  I do have about a dozen videos on YouTube but haven't paid too much attention to them even though I think some of them could be informative or helpful.

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpBoxVBmVWiTF2h_r3RwBCA?view_as=subscriber

---

The surf will be decreasing for a few days, but the high tides are still high.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net