Monday, July 15, 2019

7/15/19 Report - 1715 Fleet (?) Silver Bracelet From Treasure Coast Wreck Beach. Old Flat Buttons and Markings.



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Two Views of Hand on End of Silver Bracelet.

This hand is on the end of what seems to me to be an interesting and unusual silver find that came from a Treasure Coast shipwreck beach where other 1715 Fleet items were found.

Each hand is only about 3/8 inches long from beginning of the cuff to the end of the knuckles.

Here is the entire bracelet, if that is what it really is.

Silver Bracelet (?)
The hands on both ends are very similar, the one of the left is just at an angle that doesn't show it well.

It is about the right size for a bracelet.  It would fit around most wrists if it was not stretched open as it is.  Of course it could be something else altogether.

I noticed the ruffled cuffs, which remind me a little of cuffs such as the one shown below.

Ruffled Cuffs.
Hands are not unusual on pieces of 18th century jewelry, which include Claddagh rings and Higas like the one shown below, which was also found on a Treasure Coast shipwreck beach.


A nearly identical Higa is in the Mel Fisher Artifact database and documented as coming from the Atocha.

So, is this bracelet a 1715 Fleet artifact?  I don't know, but it appears to me that there is a good chance that it is.

Let me know what you think.

---


I've found a variety of old buttons over the years and didn't keep good records on them, so I don't know now where I got them, although some probably came from Treasure Coast sites.  Here are seven that don't have much of anything on the front of the button, but they do have markings on the back.  I know I have other old flat buttons somewhere.

Seven Dug Old Flat Buttons.


The largest is almost exactly one inch across, and the smallest one half inch across.


I'll refer to the buttons as being in four rows and two columns.  The largest button at top left is 1A.  There are no marks on the back of it.

The one beside it (1B) reads as follows on the back: STANDARD COLOUR TREBLE GILT.  (See below.)

Button 1A



On the back button 2A (below) reads: PLATED between stars.

2A




2B also reads PLATED but with no other ornamentation.

Button 2B.

3A (below) reads: FINE TREBLE GILT.  It seems to have something like a big "C" in the open area.

Button 3A.
The back of 3B (below)  twice reads: STANDARD GILT.  There is also a ring of what appears to be shields.


Button 3B.
And the last and smallest button, the only one in row 4, reads: STANDARD RICH COLOUR.  There are some other things that I can not make out, but it looks like maybe S 2.

Button 4A.

As I've mentioned, I didn't keep good records on the buttons and don't know where they all came from.  If you have reason to believe that anything I've said about these buttons are wrong, please correct me, or if you can add any information about the identify of the buttons from what you see, please do so.  I'm sure some of these markings suggest date ranges, but haven't done the research myself.

Thanks for any help.

I'm just glad I got this organized and have these buttons together now.  When I find or locate others, I'll get them organized and documented.

---

Barry is weakening and heading north.  There are no other significant systems on the National Hurricane Atlantic map right now.

You can expect another week of small surf on the Treasure Coast.

It is the time of year when we could get a system that creates some erosion and improved hunting.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net