Thursday, January 25, 2018

1/25/18 Report - Treasure Coin/Pendant (?) Find From The Treasure Coast. Dive Watch Find. Bigger Surf On The Way.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Found by DB
Photo submitted by Terry S.
From the photo, it looks to me like this might be a genuine cob with a loop attaches.  I can't see it as well as I'd like in order to be able to offer any opinion.

Here is how Terry S. described it.

Now this is interesting and part of what makes it so interesting is that it was found the same time we were finding the 8 reales. It’s about the size of a dime and this same treasure diver said it’s not a coin but a pendant and in his mind a better find than just a coin. This of course got DB all excited but he is trying to get several opinions from other experts. You see folks we often can never be 100 percent sure but really that is a lot of the fun. If any of you out there know anything or have an opinion we would value your input. 
Terry S.

Terry's request for information and opinions applies not only to this find but also to those that I showed yesterday.   Feel free to email me about any of those.

Tomorrow I will share some information that I already received from a leading researcher relative to DB's ornate key find that I showed yesterday.

---

Working Dive Watch Found by Mike S. in Namibia.
As I've said several times in the past, I like to celebrate firsts.  Mike S. said this is the first working watch he found.  Here is the story of the find.

Spent last weekend in the water with my Excal 11 seeing if I could get into any gold.

Wasn`t to be ….started with a pretty much bummer occurrence.  After having kitted up and gotten into the water, gone to the bottom, got myself sorted and decided in which direction to move, I turned the threshold knob on to start the Excal and…….aaaargh….it broke away!

In cool water trying to turn only the remnant post is like …well…. I didn`t manage…but a thought occurred to me…take one of the other knobs of and use that instead. Unfortunately in trying to remove the second knob it also came away, as did the third and fourth! The inside of the knob has a blue insert that is divided into four sections. Looks like they might have a shelf life after which they tend to crumble. Ok so that was it, abandon dive and go home to figure on how to fix my baby.

So like we have Pratley Putty here which is a double component glue that you mix in equal quantities. Made up a batch of this and was able to then repair the breakages, left overnight to cure and gave them a shot the next day and yipppeee…we are back in the game.

So back to the water and after about thirty minutes came up with the first Sport Divers watch I have ever found in about five meters of water, and some 30 cm deep in the sand.  Looked ok and so took it into the local watchmaker who then opened it up and replaced the battery, (which had leaked,) but then professed the piece to be in 100% working condition. Speculation puts the watch to have been in the ocean for quite some goodly time. The casing and strap were coated in conglomerate yuck and I know that takes a while to build up. Unfortunately I don’t have the resources to figure out the build year of the timepiece. Up to now I have only ascertained from the net, that it is an older model that seems to be no longer in the makers range.

Anyway still no gold, but  still chuffed on the find.

Thanks for sharing Mike.  I've received emails from all over the world, but this is the first from Namibia, which coincidentally appeared on an TV episode about the lake possibly containing Nazi gold there.  That was just minutes after receiving this email.

Watches can be found in great numbers on the Florida coast, both in the water and in the dry sand.  It seems a little surprising that watches are lost so easily in dry sand.  One of the best places to find watches is in a dip in shallow water near the water line.  When a dip like that is filled with shells and coarse materials, items like coins and rings will often be buried deeply, but can find watches there.

Thanks for sharing Mike.

---

John Brooks Yesterday
Photo submitted by Gaylen C.
Gaylen sent this photo from yesterday and the following report.

Attaching a photo of Douglas  beach I shot today. I worked the shell line for a good ways and came up with some scrap aluminum. Went over some small cuts with no finds. 

I was at Ft Pierce Jetty Park on Friday. The dunes had collapsed. What were 7-8 ft tall vertical dune faces were now 5 ft with no cleanly cut bases at all. 

Thanks for the report Gaylen.

The wind started picking early Thursday.  The predictions are still showing a five to seven foot surf for the Treasure Coast this weekend.

The tides won't be huge, but the wind will be out of the north as this starts, then turn to be more from the east.

I have a lot that I didn't get to today.  As I said, I'll have information to share relative to the ornate key found by DB.  I'll also be adding a new factor to my formula for detecting success.  
Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net