Tuesday, August 28, 2018

8/28/18 Report - An Old Advertising Token Find. Early Elongates. Excavation of a 17th Century Site.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Old Standard Oil Company Token Find.
One of the better things about getting older is that you learn a few things.  I was a totally different person as a youth, and a real fool for a long time.  I can see that now.

I'm probably still a fool, but just haven't reach the point that I fully appreciate it yet.  If I live long enough, I'll probably realize how big of a fool I am.

As it relates to metal detecting, you can find things and have things around that aren't very interesting or don't mean much to you, and then you learn a bit more of the story and they become more interesting to you.

This token was one such find.  It is not worth much, but probably worth something to a collector of petroliana.

It is an advertising token of the Standard Oil Company - a fact I recently learned.  I don't have an date or age on it, although a token collector told me it is probably from before the 1940s.  I suspect a little research on the logo might narrow down the age

Maker of Standard Oil Company Advertising Token.
It was made by the Bastian Brothers Company. That company began in the late 1800s and are still in the business of manufacturing tokens.

It was found years ago up north on my family's land and could have belonged to a great grandfather that was an auto mechanic or my father who worked for a while at a gas station.  Both of those fellows are now gone, so I'll probably never know if it belonged to one of them.

Back of Same Token
The back reads, "I BRING GOOD LUCK, CARRY ME."

I'd appreciate it if some one can help me identify the age of this token.

I don't know if anyone carried it for good luck or not.  If you detect much, you've probably found a few good luck tokens.

The reason I posted this is to illustrate how if you hang on to things over the years, you might learn more about them and with the new found story, something that was very interesting can become more meaningful and interesting.  It is amazing how you can have an item for a long time, and then the item becomes more interesting when you learn more about it.

---

I posted the tecnews.org link that will take you to The Elongates Club newsletter.  People to collect those elongated coins that you can make at various tourist locations, such as DisneyWorld.

I just ran across an illustration from a company that sells or lease the machines that make elongated pennies.


The illustration above shows some early elongates (left) that were made in 1892 - 1993 at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago.  Those must be some of the earliest.  I didn't know they were made that long ago.

There are a lot of different things like tokens or elongates that can make a nice collection if you accumulate a few and organize them.

---

CHATHAM -- A team of archeologists is taking a big step backward, to 1656, with a big dig in Chatham on land that was once home to English setters William and Anne Nickerson, and their children.
That was the year William Nickerson bargained with the Monnomoyick tribe to acquire a parcel of land at Monomoit (now Chatham)...
Here is the link for more about that.

http://chatham.wickedlocal.com/news/20180824/big-dig-in-chatham-finds-17th-century-settlement

---

There are no storms to now and none are expected in the north Atlantic for at least the next 48 hours.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net