Saturday, March 21, 2020

3/21/20 Report - A Variety of Treasure Coast Mystery Finds and A Few Other Points.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Silver Mystery Find.
This is a small unmarked silver item.  It is too small to be a finger ring.  I don't know what it is.

Same Item On A Dime.
It has no holes or evidence of connectors or anything, and does not look like it is broke or was made to close.


Same Silver Object.
If it was much larger I'd think it was a napkin ring.   What do you think it is?

---

I always like to find non-metallic items as well as those found by my detector.  You can often find them when metallic items are scarce.

Here are a few.

Found Points.

These aren't new finds though.  The one at the top is a broken spear point that I found in a shell pile some years ago at Walton Rocks.  It was my first point found on a beach.  I remember that find like it was yesterday even though it was years ago.

Here is a strange item I found yesterday while walking along the waters edge.  I saw it looking back at me through the shallow water.


Teddy Bear Eye?

My best guess is that it is an eye from a teddy bear or something like that.  There are rays evidently painted around what appears to be the iris.   It is flat on the back, but at one time might have had a protrusion that broke off.

---

TM sent me closer photos of some of his mystery items.

Mystery Items From TM

What do you think now?  Crystal, glass, or what?

---

Bill P. said,


Regarding the foil and baking soda method; try tap water instead of saliva.



I (TG) always used tap water myself.

I recently used a baking soda paste surrounding the coin and wrapped it in tin foil and let it sit overnight.  That worked really well.

I regard the baking soda paste as more of a toner than cleaner. 

---

Regarding my comments yesterday relative to the Coronavirus and flu, DJ pointed out that the Coronavirus is different than the Swine flu and Spanish flu in that it is more contagious.

He also provided the following great link on the effectiveness of social distancing during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic.

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

Good link.  You'll enjoy the history.

Thanks DJ.

---

I always say that no two things are exactly alike, otherwise they wouldn't be two things.

Often it is a matter of determining which differences or similarities are important in a particular situation or for a particular purpose.

---

The surf is still running around two to three feet, and will get smaller as the week progresses.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net