Friday, March 6, 2020

3/6/20 Report - Detectorist Finds Rare Artifact. Finds By Local Detectorist. Archaeologists VS Treasure Hunters. Bigger Surf Coming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Source: See LincolnshireLive link below.


A metal detectorist has amazed experts after finding an incredibly rare Roman artifact in a Lincolnshire field.

Jason Price, from Grantham, was searching in a field near lesasingham when he unearthed a colourful horse brooch.

The 48-year-old, who is an armed forces veteran, was left gobsmacked by the find, which one local expert says has rewritten the understandings of Roman brooches.

The brooch, which is only the second of its kind to be found in the UK, was unearthed when Jason was on a 'Detecting for Veterans' weekend, and is set to go on displaylater this year...


Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/experts-amazed-after-incredibly-rare-3899808


It seems to me that in the past several years archaeologists have come to view detectorists less antagonistically - at least in the press.  Back then it seemed like detectorists were always called looters or something.  It seems a little better to me now.  I think it is at least partly because detectorists now have a voice such as this blog.

===

Al C. sent me the following email and photos.


As always, thank you for the blog. I look forward to reading it every day.

When I saw the weather coming a couple weeks ago I tried to fire up my old Soverign and she finally gave up. I think I had that machine for almost 20 years. Made some great finds with it.

So I bought a Equinox. I have only used it once in a very trashy spot that had some construction going on and found the Mercury dime and Barber quarter. It was tough hunting. I plan to investigate the notch discrimination some and try more soon.

I also cant remember if I sent you a picture of the silver rings before. I found it years ago maybe a 100 yards north of where the stairs used to go up to Chucks Steak House. I also found two half reales at the same time/area.

I always wondered if it was ship wreck era. There are no markings on it. No way to tell I guess. I always think about it when the conversation of silver rings and the 1715 ships comes up.




Coins Found By Al C. In A Trashy Area Using His New Equinox.
Photo by Al C.


Intertwined Silver Rings Found by Al C.
Photo by Al C.

Thanks for writing Al.  Nice finds.  Congratulations.

I've found a few sets of intertwined rings but unfortunately at this time don't have the foggiest idea where.  They aren't marked either.  One set has one silver, one gold and one other ring.  None have markings.  I think I have one set that has more than three rings intertwined -  I think five.

Here is the one set I had handy.  They look much like yours.


I might be lucky enough to have some records that tell me when those were found.

==

Brian B. sent me the following email and link.

Hello.. Still enjoy your great reads daily. Hope all is swell and glad to see you have a bit of free time as of late on the shores. Ran across a Jan good read as might be a dupe to you but if not, it's a good recap about the latest battles over treasure finds. Thanks Brian



Below is the lead to the article and the link.



A Shipwreck Off Florida’s Coast Pits Archaeologists Against Treasure Hunters


The discovery of a legendary wreck raises questions about who should control sunken riches

Here is the link.


---


The surf today is supposed to be 0 - 1 foot, but Sunday it looks like  a 6 - 10 foot prediction.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net