Wednesday, July 17, 2013

7/17/13 Report - George III Coin, Dual Surf PI Detector, Four Factors For Detecting Success & More


Written by the Treasure Guide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

A Couple Treasure Coast Finds by Rich R.
Photo submitted by Rich.
Rich R. sent in some photos of finds, including the above.  Rich is a Fort Pierce detectorist that hunts the Treasure Coast.  He has a very nice group of finds!

Thanks for the photos Rich.

George III was born in1738 in London and became King in 1760 succeeding his grandfather George II.

Here is what the profile would look like.  This is just an illustration and not the same coin shown above.


King George III Illustration





Recent news of the 48 gold coins discovered off of Sebastian should let you know that despite what some people think, it hasn't all been found.  New discoveries will be popping up from time to time for a long time to come.


Yesterday I mentioned the fellow that sold me one of my first detectors, Jerry.  It turns out that James Fielding, one of the readers of this blog, had written an article that was published in a treasure magazine about Jerry and his wife back in the eighties.   James sent me a copy of the article, and I was able to verify what I remembered and correct an item or two.

First of all, Jerry's wife's name is Susan.  I found that in James' article.

Secondly, I mentioned that they detected the shallow water every low tide for a month.  As the article states, it was actually three months.  The had their clock set to go off before every low tide for three months, and got out there and did it.  That is  commitment.

As I mentioned a few days ago, detecting success is determined largely by three factors.  The first being location: the second being time on task: and the third, skill.   They certainly put in their time.  And they did very well.

The article that James wrote also talked about the detecting club they that ran.  I wasn't a part of the club, but observed some of the club activities on a couple of occasions when I happened to be hunting close to where the club hunt took place.  On one occasion, I stuck my head up out of the water and saw the club hunting on the beach next to where I was.

A few days ago I mentioned how members of a Treasure Coast club and Central Florida detecting club helped law enforcement find clues to solve a murder.  James' article told about how Jerry's detecting club was enlisted to find lost grave's of veterans.  They were able to detect the buried bronze markers and relocate the lost graves.   There is another example of a service provided by detectorists.

Thanks for the info and article James.


I snapped a handle to a scoop that I was using yesterday.  It was an aluminum handle.  That isn't my preference, but I was using it because it was handy, and I figured I'd use it until it broke.  It lasted longer than I ever expected.  I quickly replaced the aluminum handle with a nice 1 x 1 wood handle.

My previous wood handle lasted nearly twenty years before breaking.  The stainless steel scoop is still good.   I much prefer wood handles anyhow.


I mentioned my top three factors in detecting success - location, time, and skill.   The fourth would be detector.   Some detectors are definitely better for specific tasks than others, but a skilled detectorist can get more out of a poor detector than a poor detectorist can get out of a good detector.  Of course there is an interaction, but those are my top four factors, and the order that I would give them.

I like using different detectors from time to time.  I even like using a really poor detector once in a while for the challenge of it and what you can learn.   Get one of those $19.95 detectors and see what you can find with it.  You might be surprised to learn that you can actually find some things, mostly rusted relics, but it will take all of the skill you can summon to find anything  very interesting.  Of course you can find things eye-balling too.

The other day I was testing out a Whites Dual Surf PI for a guy.   There were some things I liked about it and some things I didn't like about it.  It is light and well balanced and easy to swing on land.

The battery compartment is easy to access and separate from the circuitry.  I like that.  It seems to detect fairly well.

Coins came through loud and clear, but there was little indication in the signal of the type of metal.  Iron sounded the same as other metals.  It took me a little while to get used to the erratic threshold.  The coil wanted to float to the surface of the water and it was it wasn't easy to swing under water.  It is definitely a good detector, but in my opinion has some definite draw backs.  In the short time I used the detector I'm sure that I didn't master it, so maybe some of the shortcomings were due to my lack of experience with the detector.



Surf This Morning on the Treasure Coast


There was about six inches of sand evidently removed by the last high tide on at least one Treasure Coast beach.

The surf was about 2 - 3 feet this morning.  The surf will drop down to about 1 foot by Saturday.  Of course that means no significant erosion in the mean time, but not too bad for water hunting.

The next low tide will be about 10 PM tonight.

Tomorrow I'll discuss a very informative article that was recently sent to me.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net