Thursday, February 13, 2020

2/13/20 Report - One Beautiful New Find and A Variety of Miscellaneous Non-Metallic Finds. A Good Reference Link.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Beautiful Carved Columnella Shell Artifact
Find and photo by DB.

Here is one beautiful find by DB.  From what I can see,  it looks like a carved Native American columnella artifact.


Shell Artifact.
Find and photo by DB

This is one nice find.  I think it is the most beautiful Native American shell artifact I've ever seen.

DB said he was hesitant to drive all the way to a spot where he had previously found numerous bottles, shell artifacts, pottery, etc., but had a feeling that the conditions were right so did it anyhow.

He would like to know what you think it was used for.  Send me your thoughts and opinions.
 
Sometimes you have to go a little farther than you really want to or do something that is not the easiest thing to do, but when you have that feeling, it can pay off.

In my younger and more intense years one guiding principle I often repeated was, "If you don't want to do it, do it."  And that was a key to a lot of my success.  Of course, there are times when better judgement says you shouldn't do it, but the point is that if you are really driven, you'll push yourself to go a little farther and do a little more than the easy thing.  I tried to find those spots that were overlooked or frequently avoided by others.  It depends upon where you are in life, and what you want to accomplish at the time.

---


I've been picking up a few easy finds lately when beach conditions haven't been good.  These are just some miscellaneous finds I picked up within walking distance of my house.  

Sometimes just a little walk will take the edge off the urge to search.  


Now that is an odd one.



A Couple of the Stopper Top Bottles I picked up.


Two Views of Recenlty Found Cone Carter's Ink Bottle.

There wasn't much the day I found Carter's cone ink bottle, I was surprised to find it.

Below is a photo of a partially submerged old Gordon's Dry Gin bottle.


Partially Submerged Gordon's Dry Gin Bottle


And here is a metal find -  a short aluminum arrow.   Seems too short for a standard bow.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the pig.

Aluminum Arrow.

---

Below is a link to a thesis you might like to browse - Prehistoric Shell Artifacts from the Apalachicola River Valley Area, Northwest Florida, by Eric Eyles, University of South Florida.

https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=2025&context=etd

There are a lot of good examples to look at.

---

The surf is nearly flat but will be increasing up to four to six feet this weekend.  The tides are high too.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net