Thursday, June 18, 2020

6/18/20 Report - Consignments Wanted. Making Hay When Sun Shines. Dust Storm.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.





Additionally from Sedwick - 



As you have probably heard by now, the ANA World's Fair of Money on August 4-8 in Pittsburgh has been suspended. We always look forward to going to the ANA show because it allows us to see our fellow collectors and dealers plus express our shared interest in numismatics.

Since some of our consignors like to see us in person at the ANA show, here is what we can offer you to make consigning an easy process:



- We are extending our consignment deadline to August 21, 2020.
- For qualifying consignments, we will pay for your shipping costs or send you a shipping label to get your consignments to us, fully insured.
- For large collections where consultation and pick up in person is safe, beneficial and feasible, we can travel to you.
- We offer discounted, expedited grading services for coins and paper money through PCGS, NGC, and PMG.
- We are able to meet with consignors by appointment at our office in Winter Park, Florida using proper health precautions.
- If you're planning on also buying in our auction, we can trade your consignment proceeds against your auction purchases.
- We are ready to consult with you at any point on what and how to consign by reaching us at 407-975-3325 or
office@sedwickcoins.com.


Our May Treasure Auction 27 was a fantastic success as we saw strong bidding, a very high sell-through rate of over 95%, and a record amount of new and returning bidders.

---


I've been describing some of the mistakes I've made in the past.  So far in recent weeks I've discussed and given examples of (1) careless digging and recovery resulting in scratched or damaged finds, (2) defective containers for carrying new finds, for example hole in pocket or goodie bag, (3) inadequate bag or container for carrying large items, for example plastic bags ripped by large fossils (4) inadequate bag or container for carrying bottles or fragile items resulting in fragile items like bottles being broken while be carried in plastic bags, and (5) leaving dug or found items on beach for later recovery, which often doesn't work out well.

Here is another mistake that I made on more than one occasion.  I've talked about this one before.  It is the mistake of being too casual when detecting conditions are exceptionally good.  When conditions are right and items are being found, don't stop until you have thoroughly cleaned out the area or you are forced to stop for some reason.

I've told about this situation before, but when I arrived at the beach I found the front beach cut back several feet, and there was a drop into the shallow water where there were tons of targets.  There were targets in every square foot for a hundred yards or more along the beach.  I remember that I dug over $20 in quarters in a hunt of about four hours.  Of course there were better things besides the coins, including many rings and pieces of jewelry.  This was in Fort Lauderdale many years ago.

After my first hunt of four hours, I left to pick up my wife or something, but I knew that I had not scratched the surface and there was much more remaining to be found.  I returned the next day and found conditions virtually unchanged.  I found about as many coins and as much jewelry as the day before.  I did about a four hour hunt again, and planned on returning the next day.  As I left I looked up and saw a front moving in.   That should have been a clue.

The next day when I returned, there was almost nothing to be found.  My mistake was not staying as long as I could and absolutely getting as much as I could while conditions were right.  As they say, "Make hay while the sun shines."

Unfortunately I've repeated that mistake several times.  Another time was years ago when I was still living in the Fort Lauderdale area.  I was traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Palm Coast to visit my parents.  It was Christmas eve, or the day before.  Anyhow, I stopped at Fort Pierce to do a little metal detecting.  It was freezing.  One of the bridges over the interstate had ice on it up north around Daytona.  ,

When I stopped at Fort Pierce, I got out of the car.  It was cold and the wind was ripping.  One other fellow showed up with a metal detector.   He was bundled up.  I saw him get ready to detect, but with the cold wind blowing, he just shook his head, turned around and left without doing any detecting.

My wife stayed in the car because of the cold.  I didn't stay on the beach long, but picked up several half reales in probably around twenty minutes.  That was another time I should have stayed longer.  There aren't many days like, so when it does happen, make the best of it.  I can think of quite a few times when I was too casual about a rare opportunity, but I there are two examples.

---


Saharan Dust Storm Headed For Gulf Coast.
Source: See weather.com link below.





The surf is down to around one or two feet on the Treasure Coast today.  The tides are small, and there is nothing on the National Hurricane Center map now.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net