Tuesday, June 9, 2020

6/9/20 Report - Fossilized Sea Shells. Fenn Treasure Found. One Mistake I've Repeated.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Fossil Shells.
Photo and Find by Melissa B.

I received these photos and the following email from Melissa B.

I found your article on fossil shells with unique crystals yesterday. I was searching the internet after some interesting finds I stumbled across with my kids in an estuary in Florida. These shells were exposed after the heavy rain we’ve had and I believe they were brought in with the parking lot fill. They were all in the parking lot area of the estuary especially in the eroded areas from heavy rain. Here are pics of what we found. Can you help me to identify? There were some interesting crystals on a few of the shells also.

Fossil Shell
Photo by Melissa B.

I've done a few posts on fossilized shells.  Here are a couple.

https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2015/05/52815-report-unique-beach-treasures.html



Fossilized shells can be fascinating treasures.  Some are fluorescent and some have nice gem crystals.

---

As I reported yesterday, the Forrest Fenn treasure has been found.

Millionaire art collector Forrest Fenn was told he would die of cancer in 1998. And wanting to leave his mark on the world and help others get into the outdoors, he devised a plan: Fenn decided he would take his 10-by-10-by-6-inch bronze Romanesque chest and load it with his best treasures — ancient jewels, gold, jade, diamonds (now estimated to be worth 2 million dollars)—take it into the mountains, and die beside it.

But, before dying, he would “architect” a poem that, if solved, would lead an explorer exactly to the treasure.

A twist of good fortune kept Forrest alive, and he now resides in Santa Fe where he writes books, gives hints, and frequently engages with those on the chase.

That comes from this Fenn Treasure web site (link below).


Forrest Fenn received the treasure of life for more years than maybe he was expecting.  Despite the prognosis, Fenn is still alive, and has mixed feelings about the treasure being found.

It took years for the puzzle to be solved and the treasure found.  It undoubtedly took a lot of persistence to solve that problem.

The person that found the Fenn treasure has chosen to remain anonymous.


A treasure chest full of gold, jewels and other valuables worth more than $1m (£790,000) is said to have been found in the Rocky Mountains.

Antiquities collector Forrest Fenn says he hid the bronze chest more than a decade ago, creating a treasure hunt for people to find it.

Thousands of people searched for it, many quitting their jobs and using up their savings. Four people died.

Now, Mr Fenn says, a man from "back East" has finally tracked it down.

"It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago," Mr Fenn, an 89-year-old millionaire from New Mexico, said in a statement...


Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52966449

It took ten years and a lot of persistence.

The Rockies offer many treasures, natural and otherwise.

----

I'll describe one more of my mistakes today.  I often learn from my mistakes, but some take more repetitions than others.

This mistake doesn't apply to small finds like coins, but this is a mistake I've made more times than I care to remember.

When walking a long distance and expecting to return the same route (along the shore, for example), I'll often leave larger finds to pick up later when I am on  my way back.  Several things can happen.  One is that I get focused on my metal detecting and pass up the item on the way back.  That is easy enough to do.  Someone else can also find the item, but sometimes I just forget about it on the way back.

One thing I often do is take the item up to the dunes and put it where it is not likely to be noticed. Since there is a good chance I'll have my nose to the ground on the return trip, some kind of marker can be helpful - maybe a big line in the sand a pile of stones or something that.   A rising tide or big wave can remove a line or move or obscure other markers, so that doesn't always work out.

If the item is very good, don't take any chances.  When you really don't want to take a chance on losing an item, it is better to not leave it behind.  Too many things can happen.



You can find some pretty big things.  I once carried this six-foot iron anchor on my shoulder a couple hundred yards and up over a high dune.  I wouldn't even attempt it today.

---

Wednesday the surf will still be small, but later in the day it will start to increase.



Defund the criminals.

TreasureGuide@comcast.net