Thursday, April 24, 2014

4/24/14 Report - Treasure Hunter's Cookout Sat., New Relic Finds, Puffed Up Sandy Beaches, and More

 
Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.




Don't forget the treasure hunter's cookout, which will be this Saturday the 26th.

Kellyco will be there.  There are  donations from RTG Scoops, First Texas and Garrett (not metal detectors) that will be raffled off along with miscellaneous treasure and treasure related items.

There will be live music.(Caribbean style).

Bring your own beer and a covered dish to share potluck style.   There will be bbq ribs, pulled pork, burgers, hot dogs, chicken wings and sodas to drink.

Anyone can set up a table and buy/sell/swap treasure and treasure hunting related items.

Chuck said, Some of the regulars will be attending the robert marx lecture on the 25th and the meeting to discuss the new legal issues in regards to wreck salvage, I'm sure this will be discussed heavily at the cookout and maybe we will finally get organized and become proactive rather than reactive!!!!

If you don't know what that is about, go back and read the previous post in this blog.


Relic detector finds and photo by William M.

William M. is still hot on that relic trail.  Here are the latest finds.  His favorites from this group include a Sterling silver Bailey Banks and Biddle spoon and a Father Johns bottle.

Keep it up William.  Thanks for sharing.

Notice the other neat little finds in there.


Yesterday I posted a mystery photo for you to figure out and asked if you could tell what it is.

Below is a photo showing the entire item.




Fish Exo-skeleton.
 
I found this fish exo-skeleton.  It is very delicate and composed of little plates.

It is about to fall apart.  Just thought it was neat.

I don't know the name of the type of fish.  I should look it up.  Maybe someone will tell me.

Just one of the things I found while not detecting.


Below is another miscellaneous visual find from the same walk.

Copper Bow Running Light.

Yesterday morning I took a quick look at a couple of beaches.  I didn't take my detector out of the car at either of them.

The beach looked like an August beach.  I hope that is not an indication of what the rest of the summer is going to be like.

The treasure beaches haven't been much good since November, and that is almost half a year ago.  Can you believe it?

The one good thing about beach conditions now is that the surf is smooth.  Just some very small swells slowly running in.  Perfect for very easy water hunting.

There was a lot of sand on the beach though.  Take a look at the photo below.  That is not what you want to see from a treasure beach.  If you had tons of tourists running around on it, you could pick up some modern stuff.  I don't find that type of hunting nearly as interesting any more, although I do it when treasure beach conditions are poor.


I didn't bother to take my detector out of the car at the wreck beaches that I looked since the beach conditions were so poor, but I felt like swinging my detector a little, I stopped at one of the tourist beaches and hunted the dry beach.  I hit a piece of gold in just a few minutes.  Modern, of course,   It was one of those cases when it was a good thing that I was not discriminating.  The gold was about seven inches right under a bottle cap.  Seemed like someone had already detected there and picked up everything but the bottle caps. 

That is all for today.  Take a look at the overview of laws concerning underwater cultural materials in my previous post and enjoy the cookout this Saturday.  Beautiful weather for a cookout.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net