Friday, December 29, 2017

12/29/17 Report - More Treasure Coast Finds and Info on Old Finds. # 6 Post of 2017. Higher Surf Begins.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Found by Gaylen C. a few weeks ago.
I showed the above item found by Gaylen back a few weeks ago.  Gaylen got some additional opinions on what the item might be.

Here is part of a message I received from Gaylen.


Wanted to thank you for the tip on the free day at Mel Fisher Museum. Awesome place. Seeing the real thing is way better than pictures. Got some folks to look at my artifact from Ft Pierce beach and a couple of other items. They agreed it could likely be a graver like the one at McLarty, or a cannon vent pick. Research indicates most vent picks were brass or copper to avoid sparks.

Got back to the same location a couple more times and found a few more pieces, some easier to ID than others.

The nail is an obvious nail this time and looks like another handmade piece. The two pieces of crockery are small, very thick, and from two different pots. One piece looks like it came from the opening. Could these be from olive jars or vases?

The small gray pieces I also showed to the Fisher folks. They didn't recognize anything but commented on the heavy weight. Later I saw some older posts on your site that looked pretty similar and I wonder if they might be pewter. Heavy like lead, shiny when scraped. Two pieces came from something with a very prescribed large arc.

Won't be back down there for a bit because of a knee injury, but maybe the expected higher surf will uncover more...

Here are a few pictures of Gaylen's recent finds.

Finds From a Heavily Renourished Area.
And here is a closer look.




Hope your knee gets better soon Gaylen.

I'm glad that readers of this blog took visited the museum after I posted about it and that I was able to provide a little indirect support for them through this blog.  As Gaylen said, it helps to see identified items in person.  You don't get the complete picture from photos, no matter how good the photos are.
Gaylen also obtained more information about items that he took to show.

---

Photo by Darrel S.
I showed these items that Darrel S. got out of a conglomerate.  I didn't mention that when they were freed, they were together, like a snap from a canvas bag or something.

---

Joe R. said the tracks I posted the other day looked like panther tracks.  Thanks Joe. I think so too.

---

Continuing with the list of my top ten most popular 2017 posts, the sixth most popular post of the year was my 1/6/17 Report - Memorable Metal Detector Finds: Firsts. Beach Conditions Prior to Approaching Winter Weather and Bigger Surf.   In that post I told a little about several of my personal firsts, including my first 1715 find, first gold coin, first non-1715 shipwreck treasure coin, first platinum ring, etc.

Here is the link.

http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2017/01/1617-report-memorable-metal-detector.html

---

Today the Treasure Coast surf will be up to three to five feet.  It looks a little like winter this morning.  We are also supposed to have a north wind.  That might open up a spot or two.

In a few days the surf is supposed to get higher.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net