Tuesday, December 5, 2017

12/5/17 Report - Wabasso Beach Report. Best Resource I Know Of For Overview of History of 1715 Fleet Salvage.


Written by the TreaureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Wabasso Sunday
Photo by Eric H.

Eric H sent in these photos and a report on his Sunday Wabasso hunt.  Here is what he said.

Just wanted to let you know I went out to do a little hunting today ( Sunday ) at Wabasso beach and had plenty of targets, but nothing exciting...

What was interesting is that I was getting deep targets.  I found an 18 inch long piece of rebar that was buried 20 inches deep and my Sea Hunter screamed out the signal. I was really excited there for a while until I saw that it was rebar. 

I got one iron target that was about 22 inches deep (lucky for me it was high enough on the beach that I could retrieve it, if it had been in the wet sand I would have had one heck of a time getting it out.  As it was I had to dig a huge hole.  One thing that surprised me was that I found all the heavy items higher up on the beach, and the trash aluminum was at the low tide line in heavy shells (where I thought the better targets were going to be). There were virtually no items in the small holes and pockets in the low tide line/shallow water.


Miscellaneous Targets Frm Wabasso Sunday
Photo by Eric H.

Depth Eric Was Digging.
Photo by Eric H.
\
Thanks for the photos and report Eric.  Your report should help anyone interested in evaluating beach conditions.

---

Detectorists remove a lot of junk from the beaches.  That is a benefit that the public doesn't realize.

It doesn't hurt to pick up some of those ropes, flip flops and plastic bags while you are out there.

Here is an article about how such things endanger the sea turtles.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Sea_turtles_sad_fate_from_restaurant_menus_to_plastic_soup_999.html

---

The best book on 1715 Fleet salvage history that I've seen is the 241 page large format The Rainbow Chaser's Tricentennial Yearbook by T. L. Armstrong and Tommy Gore, published by Signum OPS, 2015.  I was sent a copy of that book some time ago by Jon Morgan, who does the Lets Talk Metal Detecting podcasts after he interviewed the primary author, and I found it to be the best and most comprehensive summary that I have seen.  There are sections on the wrecks, the finds, stories, techniques, dig boats, and the finders.  

The first sentence of the foreword refers to the Donald Rumsfield comment,"We don't know what we don't know."  That is something I said in this blog before I knew anyone famous said it, and it is something good to remember, especially as it relates to treasure hunting.  Sometimes things become commonly accepted as fact and, but when new information turns up, we sometimes have to change our minds.

There is new information concerning the location of at least part of one 1715 Fleet wreck that will be coming out before long, but I can't say more about that now.  I'm sure it will be published.

If you have access to the Rainbow Chaser's book, you might want to check out page 152, which is part of a section entitled Anchoring.  You'll see a photo taken by the author entitled A Mangled Anchor, Destroyed by the Reef  that looks very much like the one Darrel S. found and which I recently posted, though Darrel's was not mangled.  

Anyhow, good book.  Thanks Jon.

---

In the past I wrote a lot about beach dynamics.  I learned a lot of that when I was hunting modern gold on the beaches of South Florida before I moved to the Treasure Coast.   In retrospect, I can see that it was a good place to start detecting.  The crowds left a lot of coins on the beach, which made it easier to identify patterns.  As I said yesterday, beside goals, you need a way to quantitative measure to evaluate what you are doing.  Careful monitoring will teach you a lot by itself.  Learning is easier when you have a lot of data points.  Careful observation and constant monitoring helps the learning process no matter what you are trying to do.

---

I have a good post started for tomorrow.  It is about a ring lost by a famous person eighty years ago that was recently found on a Florida beach and returned to the family.

---

Don't wait until later to do the things that you want to do.  You might think you'll have all the time in the world to do those things when you are retired, but things can happen and it might not turn out like you expected.

The moon is beautiful and the tides are big.  The surf will be increasing a little in the next couple of days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net