Tuesday, December 12, 2017

12/12/17 - Y2K Treasure Recovered in Back Yard. Very Old Chisel. Old Metal Detecting Records. Artifact ID Guide.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

2000 Year Old Chisel
Source: Haaretz.com web site (link below)

Archaeologists Find 2,000-year Old Chisel Used to Build the Western Wall

The metal tool was discovered at the bottom of the wall, which hadn't been build by Herod at all, other evidence shows...

Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/archaeology/.premium-1.586670

---

I can't believe it.  I just ran across what has to be some of my first metal detecting records.  It seems like it would have been from the first days or weeks that I had a serious metal detector.

My records include the detecting site, date (day, month), total face value of coins found up to that time, number of each type of coin found on each hunt broken down by the decade of the coin and a few additional notes.

Old Coin Shooting Records.

At that point, I would call myself a coin shooter.  ( I don't anymore.)  That is mostly what I was finding and recording in considerable detail.

On 9/26, near the beginning of the entries I had $7.53 total face value of coin finds, and on the back of the page the last row shows that by 1/3 I had found a total of 2653 coins with a total face value of $197.48.  including 432 quarters, 622 dimes, 300 nickles and 1299 pennies.  Dollar coins and halves were not included in the total value (don't know why except possibly their relative rarity).  Foreign coins were noted by not counted.  I see some Susan Anthony dollar finds, for example. The math seems to be off by less than a dollar.

As I said, I recorded the number of coins from each decade for each denomination.  Most of the hunts resulted in coins from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  As I scan the records, I see that the first time I got many coins from the 20s, 30s and 40s was when I made a trip to Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Old Coin Shooting Records.

Well, that looks like it was my very earliest detecting.  I was surprised to see that I kept so much data when I started and can see from the records that I improved steadily and fairly quickly.  It wasn't long after that when I started targeting jewelry and quit keeping records on common coin finds, and then I only recorded jewelry finds.

I vaguely remember counting and recording finds, but I didn't remember keeping so much detail.

This goes along with very well with my 12/4 post on focus, goals, feedback loops and analysis.

Keeping good records helps you to know which sites are producing, what they produce and when they produce.  Consistent record keeping provides feedback that helps more than you might expect.  If you are trying to keep your weight or blood pressure down, for example, just monitoring those levels on a regular basis might help.

You might also want to take notice of things such as when you start to get older coins at a particular site.  That can be an important clue.

The data will also bring up important questions.  If you are seeing a decrease in finds, it will cause you to ask yourself why and what is going on.

Besides all of that, old records bring back memories.  I just wish I would have included the year along with the day and month.  When I made those records I never would have guessed that I would be looking them once again after thirty or forty years.

---

I got this interesting note from Stephen L.


Hi,
Thanks so much for your daily posts, very well done.  I bought a detector a while ago to find some treasure that I buried in my back yard before Y2K.  I am embarrassed to say that I could not find it when recently tried, after a grid of about 15 test holes with a post hole digger, but after I bought my detector, found it within 30 seconds.  Since then I have only used my detector on private property with permission, relatives and such...

Thanks for writing Stephen.

---

Iron Tools From 1770 - 1813
Source: An Identification Guide to Recovered Colonial and Revolutionary War Artifacts.
I've been talking a lot about pointed iron tool finds from the Treasure Coast.  One good source that might help with the identification of such artifacts is the identification guide by Timothy J. McGuire.  The picture above show shows an awl in the middle along with some files and a chisel (right) found at the site of the battle of Brownstown Creek in Wayne County Michigan.  Good resource.

---

Small surf on the Treasure Coast today.  Not much change expected for a week or two.