Thursday, April 16, 2020

4/16/20 Report - Detectorist Sells Find for $54,000. Toned 1932 Quarter Sells for $4,800. Test and Prove.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.




A metal detectorist’s find, a silver penny of Ludica, a virtually unknown Saxon king of Mercia, realized nearly three times its high estimate during a March 10 auction in London.

The coin was discovered by Andy Hall while metal detecting in Wiltshire. It realized £41,216 ($54,004 U.S.), including the 28.8 percent buyer’s fee...

At Coombe Bissett, in Wiltshire, in January 2016 during an organized search on farmland, the coin was found buried 3 to 4 inches deep in a rotted stubble field. Hall, using an XP Deus metal detector, found the coin in a ball of thick mud.

Hall had been detecting for two years when he found the coin. He saw that it was a Saxon silver penny and took it home before carefully removing the mud... 


Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/rare-silver-penny-found-by-detector-sells-in-london-auction


Notice the word "detectorist" there.  It seems to be becoming mainstream.


---





Here is a 1932 Washington quarter that sold for $4,800, which is a much higher price than most  comparably graded 1932 quarters, which usually sell in the neighborhood of $700.

… The year 1932 marked the start to the series, and Pogue’s example, graded Mint State 66 by Professional Coin Grading Service, with a green Certified Acceptance Corp. sticker, featured gorgeous toning described as “most vivid, varied and expansive on the obverse, where particularly impressive shades of sea green, olive-gold, lilac and salmon pink are seen.” 


So it looks like the toning helped the price a lot. For me it is too spotty.

Here is that link.


---

I have one silver coin that has developed some unusual toning (below).  It was found years ago.  I think the toning developed over time in storage.



The photo is realistic and has not been edited or anything.

The gold toning is the nice part.  I could do without the black.

---

I thought the 1944 metal detecting story I posted yesterday was cool.  Don't know if anyone else liked it.   

---

For a long time I've been repeating a few things over and over again in different ways.

Observe, theorize, hypothesize, test, then accept or reject, and repeat.  That is simple enough.  And I don't think it is asking too much of anyone that claims to be scientific.  Of course there are epistemological discussions we could get into, but I won't

You wouldn't believe how many times I test myself.  I take samples all the time.  I don't assume I am right.  I test it out.

And that is what I suggest you do.  Don't believe a thing I say without testing it out for yourself.

---

I got out of the car in the WalMart parking lot the other day, and over a loud speaker came some sort of message about washing hands and taking precautions.  It immediately reminded me of  George Orwell's novel Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

Now we have drones flying around warning people who get too close to other people and all sorts of Orwellian things.  People are tracked through cell phone data.  Neighbors report neighbors for being outside in the yard exercising.  A father and daughter arrested and handcuffed for being in a park.  And the beaches are closed!  Who could of imagined all that?

Well, here we are with all the beaches closed - at least to most of us.  My original purpose for this blog was to report on beach conditions.  After that I got into a lot more.

But with the beaches closed, and with the blog so big now, maybe it is about time to shut it down or do something different.  People have been asking me to do a book, but I'll consider some other changes, such as doing something similar by subscription or something.  The site is continually growing and getting more views, but it feels like its about time for a change.

Right now I'm thinking about a non-public blog for a small group of people or a blog-PLUS with extra info for a small group.

---

The wind has shifted and is now coming from the northeast.  Rainy too.  And the tides flat.

The surf is supposed to increase later today.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net