Thursday, April 23, 2020

4/23/20 Report - Beaches to Open. Prettiest Find In A While. Civil War Forks. Gold To Go Way Up. Automat.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Loose Stone Found Yesterday.

Yesterday I found the loose stone shown above on the pavement.  All I saw at first was a bright sparkling in the sunlight.  I bent down to check It out and saw the small faceted stone.  It is the prettiest thing I've found for a while.

Back years ago I talked about eye-balling, and how to find lose gems.  I remember talking about the fellow that did quite well scouring the New York Diamond Center streets.

One good place to look for loose gems in in the frozen food departments at grocery stores.  It seems that the cold might make loose stones fall out.

Another good place is in the ladies section of department stores.  You can often find earring backings caught in the carpets around the racks and counters, especially in the corners under the ledges of the counters.

I took pride in my eye-balling skills in the old days, and did it constantly.  It kept me entertained when I went shopping with the wife.

In this blog I remember saying, more than once, "Keep looking down."

I'll have to get this one checked out.  It isn't large, but I think I can see a small inclusion, which is good.

Same Stone on Dime.

---


Gaylen C. did some research on my knife and found several similar examples, usually listed as Civil War era, which matches the date range I was seeing in my brief research.

Three-Pronged Wood-Handle Civil War Era Forks
Submitted by Galen C.
Here is what Gaylen said.

There were quite a few offerings, some inlaid more or less than yours, but no exact match. Hope it helps in your research. Most described as civil war items.
I for one would miss this blog tremendously if it were gone. Don't think I've missed a day since I discovered it. Even tried, unsuccessfully, to make my way back to the first post to read them all. Hope you will be sharing your insights in one format or another for a long time to come. \

Submitted by Gaylen C.


Thanks Gaylen.

---


I understand that Sarasota Beach is open.

Vero Beach is not open but Conn Boardwalk along the beach is open for oneway traffic.

I'm expecting other Treasure Coast beaches to open next week.

Here is what was reported in CBS news yesterday.

… St. Lucie County Communications Director Erick Gill tells CBS12 News the Treasure Coast counties are working together, eyeing limited beach reopenings similar to Jacksonville’s, but hoping to avoid the initial mad dash.
“We don’t want to be the first one to open up and then see the entire Treasure Coast congregate on 21 miles of beaches,” he said... 

… On Wednesday, the topic was front and center as Gov. Ron DeSantis convened four conference call meetings of his Re-Open Florida Task Force.
“Quite frankly, after the first night, it’s really thinned out,” said Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry, who shared with a Task Force working group how he reopened his city’s beaches this past weekend.

The beaches are only open for limited hours during the morning and evening for swimming and recreation — no sunbathing or gatherings yet.
The video and pictures of people turning out in droves the first day of the reopening raised concerns among many, but Mayor Curry said he believes people have kept their distance and it’s working...
For more of that article see

https://cbs12.com/news/local/sharper-focus-on-reopening-beaches-parks-eventually-restaurant-dining


---


Bank of America says gold will reach $3000 per ounce in the next 18 months.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-04-22/bank-of-america-says-gold-will-hit-3-000-an-ounce-video

That is more than $1200 over the present price.

Gold prices have been very volatile, often moving $20 to $40 a day.

---

EMarketer says that while the pandemic is creating a major drag on the global economy, it's helping to accelerate the development and commercialization of emerging technologies that previously received only lukewarm support from the public or government. In an April report, the research company highlighted such technologies as drone delivery, worker robots, 5G connectivity and telemedicine.
"This is especially true for innovations that reduce human-to-human contact, automate processes and increase productivity amid social distancing," said the report.
Simplehuman seeks to make everyday life more efficient, according to Yang, creating touchless products for both the home and public spaces. Yang says the company has seen a surge in interest in items such as a touch-free, foam-sensor soap pump and a paper-towel holder that pulls the right amount with just one hand.


If you give the people a problem and a chance, they'll figure it out. That is how fortunes are made.

It actually reminds me of the automat that I saw in New York in 1964, I think. It was a bit of a tourist attraction back then.

It was a cafeteria like place where the food items were in boxes around the walls, and you just put in your coin and opened the door to get your item.



---

Intolerance is a shackle restraining the intolerant.


NFL draft today.  Don't forget to tweet Boooo Goodell.

I think our beaches will open next week.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net