Saturday, May 2, 2020

5/2/20 Report - Hembleden Hoard. Metal Detectivists. Local Beaches. Mystery Item Solved.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Gold Coins of The Hembleden Hoard
Source: ancient-origens.net (See link below.)


Four amateur metal detectorists partaking in a four day long rally in Buckinghamshire, England, have unearthed over 550 rare gold and silver coins, including 12 ‘extremely rare’ gold coins from the time of the  Black Death.

Estimated to have been stashed more than 600 years ago according to an article in The Daily Mail, the coins are estimated to be potentially worth £150,000 ($195,000). This is the biggest recovered gold hoard since the 2011 mid-17th century discovery of 52 coins in High Ackworth, West Yorkshire and the most valuable silver hoard discovered since the 617 coins dated to the early 10th century unearthed near Harrogate, North Yorkshire...

Here is the link to that article.





According to the Daily Mail, the findings are worth an estimated £150,000 (or $195,000).

The cache of coins was discovered by a group of four men during a detectorists rally called “Detectival”, where hundreds of amateur metal detectorists gather to scour hundreds of acres of English countryside in hopes of discovering artifacts just like the rare coins that were discovered.

In addition to the rare coins, the detectorists found 12 extremely rare gold coins from the Middle Ages, which are estimated to be worth $130,000 each...

Here is that link.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/hambleden-hoard

---

South Hutchinson Island Beach Friday.


Frederick Douglass Beach Friday.


South Hutchinson Island Beach Friday.

Jerry P. visited some South Hutchinson Beaches Friday.  Here is what he said.

I’m sending you some pics of the beach conditions south of the inlet this morning.

I got to Frederick Douglas around 7:30 and stayed through the low tide. Worked the beaches from 1/2-mile south of FD to 1/2-mile north of John Brooks.

Worked the cuts, scallops & shell lines then the water edge during low tide. Not many good targets, mostly fishing tackle and can slaw. But man it was good to be back on the beach after a 2-1/2 month layoff due to Covid-19.


Our beaches in Palm Beach County are still closed, so that’s when I decided to drive north. The tides were good for the early morning hunt and the day was simply Beautiful😎


Thanks Jerry, Looks like there was no problem with social distancing.
----

It looks like the sinkers I showed yesterday are the type with the extensions for grabbing into the sand.  Thanks to Phillip E. for the following picture.


I think that is it.

---

I always wondered how the people of Germany could allow or participate in the things that went on during World War II.  I didn't realize how it could get to that point, but after the past couple of months, I can understand it.  Not that this is anything like that, but I can see how people are motivated by fear, bombarded with endless repetition, forbidden dissension, and eventually horrific acts justified in service of the greater good.

---

One day this week there were almost 19,000 page views on this blog.

I feel like this blog is a bit like my home.  I express what I think or feel, but I don't ask anyone to stop by.  I just leave the door open.


Right now I'm waiting for the Virtual Kentucky Derby.  Was there a couple years when I was going to the University of Louisville.


The surf will be about two feet for a couple days.  I'm thinking about how I want to approach my summer hunting,

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net