Thursday, July 9, 2020

7/9/20 Report - A Few Treasure Coast Fossil Finds. Hunting Everywhere and Anywhere. Pieced Together Again.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Two Views of Same Big Fossil Vertebra.

I was going through some old finds this morning and found this vertebra.  I don't know what type of animal it belongs to, and I haven't done the research.  Maybe someone can help me.

I have enough old finds to keep me busy with research for the rest of my life.

Here is another unidentified vert.

Fossil Vert of Some Kind.



Here is a fossilize piece of wood or coral.  I'm not sure which.  Anybody know?





It seems to have rings like wood.

----

treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.
Wit's End.


Somebody was wondering about places to metal detect when the beaches are closed.  For me that doesn't seem like much of a problem.  My answer would be anywhere and everywhere.  I've done my yard many times and there are spots that I still haven't done well be cause of interference from power lines, yet if I really want to I'm sure I can select and metal detector and settings that will handle it.

There is an overgrown lot just around the corner from me that needs to be detected.  There are old bricks on the surface, but a lot of weeds and things that need to be cleared to some extent before detecting.

And there are always edges.  For example, there is a lot of construction going on along some of the railroad tracks.  Those sites always offer something of interest.

If you have a boat, there are a lot of places that you can get too that haven't been detected much.

I never forget my first time in the woods in West Virginia, and everyone told me nothing was there.  My first outing I found a 1940s gold class ring.  I also found silver coins, artifacts from the 1800s, including a crotal bell that I've shown in this blog and arrow heads.

Sometimes it is good to try new areas.  Anyplace is worth checking.  You might have to do some prospecting rather than hunting places you know, but that could pay off.

I know that some places will be terribly junky or have other problems, but that will force you to adapt.  Maybe try some sifting.  If you work at it, you can find a way.  It might not be obvious or easy, but you might learn something in the process and eventually come up with a good site all your own.

One thing you can try in overgrown areas where you can't sweep like on the beach is switching to pinpoint or all-metals mode.  You can then move your coil slowly in around things and underthings.  It takes a little practice, but it works.

As I often say, there is always a way.  And there is always some place to hunt and something to find.

I've mentioned in this blog in the past some places where almost nobody detects that you might consider.  

---

Old Dish Pieced Together.


I found this old child's dish in pieces and managed to get it glued together pretty good. One piece didn't fit well, otherwise it went back together very nicely.


---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov


The system off North Carolina now has a 70% chance of becoming a cyclone in the nest 48 hours.

The low is expected to move northeastward or
north-northeastward near or just offshore of the North Carolina
Outer Banks. Later today and then along the mid-Atlantic coast
tonight through Friday night.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net