Monday, November 14, 2016

11/14/16 Report - One More Use For Test Targets. Call of Nature Leads To Important Discovery. Small Surf This Week.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Detectmg The Land Where My Ancestors Roamed The Frontier

I did some land hunting not long ago and posted a couple pictures from the hunt. I haven't done much land hunting lately - maybe only a few days a year.  I used a different detector than I usually use on the beach and found that I needed some refreshing.  I wasn't sure of some of the signals,

One of the things I highly recommend for most anybody, and especially beginners is using test targets of various types and under various conditions to really learn what your detector is trying to tell you.

In the past I talked a lot about using test targets.  I use test targets occasionally even with a detector that I've used a lot - not only to explore signals to various types of targets under different conditions, but also to test my settings during a hunt to see if they are the best I can get for the situation.

In this case there were ID readouts that were a little inconsistent.   There were some ID readings that jumped a bit depending upon where I passed the coil over some objects.  In order to identify exactly what that indicated, I used some test targets and placed them at different angles and then scanned them at various distances.

The depth of an object will affect the accuracy of the ID on some detectors, especially when the target gets close to maximum detectable depth.  The angle of an object can also affect the signal or readout.

The most simple way to use a test target is to lay the coin or object flat on the ground.  That is usually what is done.  Sometimes the object is buried, but almost always laying flat.

If you lay a test target on the ground you can see exactly where the coil is in relation to the target and how a change in relative position affects the signal.

Coins and other objects can be wedged against a rock or root and be on end or at an angle instead of flat.  That can affect your signal.  I think I've shown in the past how a coin standing on end can sound more like a nail or other long narrow target.

Partly due to the fact that I hadn't used that particular detector a lot recently and partly due to the fact that I wanted to investigate the cause of some mixed signals, I used test targets once again on that recent hunt.  I don't think there is any better way to get to know your detector than by using test targets, and I don't think most people do it enough.

---

“Nature called, and Cliff walked up this creek bed into this gorge and found this amazing spring surrounded by rock art,” archaeologist Giles Hamm told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. “A man getting out of the car to go to the toilet led to the discovery of one of the most important sites in Australian prehistory.”

Here is the link for the rest of the story.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/MiamiHerald/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=TMH%2F2016%2F11%2F13&entity=Ar25E4&sk=A211F79C

Thanks to Alberto S. for that link.

I know of a few times when Treasure Coast detectorists found reales when they went to relieve themselves.

---

Darrel S. reports that Seagrape Trail is now open again.  Thanks Darrel.

We'll have a small surf most of this week, not increasing until Friday.  We'll still have some good high tides and a northeast wind.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net