Saturday, February 24, 2018

2/24/18 Report - Numismatic Tokens. Sight Finds. Detecting Dangers. Lost Time Capsule.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Two Identical Tokens Showing Alternate Sides.
The first side reads: TRADE DOLLAR DE COMMERCE - MONNAIES COINS - SERGE HUARD- C. P. 402 POINNTE AUX TREMBLES QUEBEC HIB 5K3 CANADA.

The other side reads: REGINA COIN CLUB - CNA ANA.

The diameter is 1.5 inches.

I mentioned these in the last post.  They are the "some kind of big coins" the kids yelled about.

---

After finding a clay pipe yesterday, I took a another little walk this morning to see if I might find something else.  Not much luck, but I did find the following antique porcelain dolls arm.  I've found others in the past and like to find them because they sell quickly.  I showed some of those before.

Antique Porcelain Doll's Arm Found During Walk.
Also found three marbles.  No good old clay ones though.

Three Found Marbles.
Objects from various time periods get mixed together.  That is what it is like where I walk.  The vast majority of items are from the20th century, but items are definitely from way before that, even going back to fossilized bones from thousands or even million of years ago.

The non-metallic items suggest that there might be coins from the same spread of time periods, but the modern trash makes it very difficult and time consuming to detect.

Its amazing how much stuff people leave behind.  There is stuff almost everywhere.  You don't even need a metal detector or shovel to find it if you just look around where either water or man has moved sand or earth.

---

My post from yesterday prompted Bill P. to send the following message.

After reading your blog today about being aware of what and who is around you, a memory of my early detecting days resurfaced. I usually detected the dry sand area at Clearwater Beach at night. It was much cooler and considerably fewer people to deal with. However, weekend nights always had drunks, showoffs and all manner of other crazies out and about. One particular night a young man approached me and said something really strange..."I think I've been shot, could you please check me for any blood." I was immediately suspicious and as I looked him over(from a distance) I saw a stun gun in his right hand. I believe his intent was either to rob me or just watch me twitch on the ground after he used his new toy. I told him if he stepped closer to me that I would use my shovel on him. Well he finally left but it was an eye opening experience for me. I overheard later that night that the police caught someone using a stun gun on people at the beach. We call "being aware", situational awareness, and it should become a constant routine throughout the day and night. There are too many criminals out there to not be constantly vigilant. Bill P.

That is a good reminder for everybody.  It is a good idea to hunt with a partner, especially if you are hunting at night or in bad areas.

Bill's story reminded me of one time when I was metal detecting in the ocean at night.  It was totally dark and there was no one to be seen anywhere when I got bumped by something big in the water.  That was exciting enough to start the heart of a dead man.  I wouldn't hunt in the water alone at night anymore.

---

Here is a Feb. 22, 2018 newspaper article about a time capsule that was buried in a park in Follansbee WV in 1969.  It can't be located.  They involved archaeologists and metal detectors but still can't locate the time capsule.

http://www.weirtondailytimes.com/news/local-news/2017/06/search-continues-for-time-capsule/

I mentioned the Lions Club eye-glasses program yesterday, and coincidentally it was the Lions Club that gathered items to be put in this time capsule.

---

More beautiful weather.  On the Treasure Coast beaches more two to four foot surf and moderate tides.  The MagicSeaWeed web site is predicting a big bump in the surf for a week or two  in the future.  The long range predictions aren't real good, but there is some reason for hope.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net