Wednesday, February 7, 2018

2/7/18 Report - Dug Coins With Holes and Bent Coins: Uses and Superstitions. Snip Pattern On Steve's Mystery Find.


Written by the TreasuerGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Figure From The Book
Numismatic Archaeology of North America: A Field Guide by Aiken et al.
Over the years I dug up a good number of "holed"coins. They include everything from a Charles II half reale to a Lincoln penny.  I don't think I got any of them in circulation.  If I did I didn't notice it at the time.  I think they were all dug coins.  If I'd thought about it, I might have kept them together as a nice little collection of holed coins.

When someone puts a hole in a coin it is often meant to change the function of the coin.  It is no loner used as money but as a pendant, button, token or something else.  I can imagine, though, that coins might be punched to be sewn into clothing for safe keeping and transportation.  I've read of how those escaping persecution in places such as Nazi Germany would sew valuables into their clothing.  I could see why one might do something similar for a long voyage on a cramped ship.  What better way to keep a few coins safe under those circumstances.

It seems that people assume that when they find a holed coin that it was meant to be a pendant.  That might often be the case, but there are other possibilities as well.  The placement and number of holes might tell you something.

The above illustration was published in the numismatic archaeology book by Aiken et al that I've mentioned a few times recently.  The same book also reported on a study of holed coins offered for sale on eBay.

The number of holes can vary from one to several.  The arrangement of holes can suggest the reason for the hole or holes.  A single hole near the edge of a coin suggests that the coin would be suspended, as would be the case with a pendant.  But it would only take one hole for someone to sew a coin into a garment.  It isn't all that easy to make a hole in a coin.  I'd only make as many as necessary.

Below is a picture of a crucifix that was sold in a Sedwick auction a year or two ago.  I personally inspected that item in Orlando before the sale.  I had the feeling and told Mr. Sedwick at the time that I thought it looked like the coins were a later addition.

Illustration From Sedwick Auction Catalog.

As this shows, coins can also be used as religious items and as ornaments.  Notice that the holes are placed so the coin hangs right side up.  Normally the hole would be started from the side that is most likely to show when suspended.

The corpus on the above piece looks to me like it was made by an indigenous silversmith.  I found a similar one of gold on a wreck beach back years ago.

While a single hole might indicate that the coin was to be suspended, two holes might also be for suspension, or when coins are attached to each other to make something like a bracelet.  Two holes can also turn a coin into a button.

Coins were also used at times as good luck tokens or religious medallions.

I used to find a lot of bent coins, especially at one location where there were a lot of rocks that rolled around in the surf.   I used to think the bent coins were probably caused by natural forces, but there are a lot of superstitions and other uses for bent coins.   Some believed a bent coin would change one's luck.  Another tradition is that carrying a bent coin in a purse would keep the purse full.  And then there were "witching coins" and love tokens.  So I guess there are several possibilities.

Here is a an old poem about mentioning a crooked sixpence.

There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

---

Concerning yesterday's mystery find from Steve in Sebastian, DB offered the following.


I recognize the snip pattern as those of aviation snips. That could also lead to the mystery itself. I've found several parts of planes as well as the fact there are WWII planes in the water along the Treasure Coast.
 Happy hunting
DB

Thanks much  DB!

---

Not any real change in beach conditions.  I'll have to find time to get out sometime soon.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net