Tuesday, February 6, 2018

2/6/18 Report - Mystery Find. Regulated Joseph Edwards Lima Eight-Escudo. Surf Moderate.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Mystery Object Along With Eight-Reale Included for Size Comparison.
Photo by Steve in Sebastian.


Steve sent the above photo showing a mystery find (darker object) along with the following description of how it was found.

... So Ann and I hit the wet/dry divider line down on one of the Galleon Beaches. Get a fair but leaning toward weak signal on my CTX 3030. Pulled a big scoop, nothing still there. Did another, same result, (and I run a very big scoop with a feather light handle). 3rd pull, she’s out. Detected all 3 piles with no results, I flattened them down with my foot, nothing, carefully scanned the whole works for what I figured by then was a dime sized piece of “can slaw.” Nothing...enough, 3pm already, rain off to the South. Move on. I’m poor at moving on and cutting my losses. Must learn to “move on!”

Repeat the above “to a tee” about 30-40 feet along. Same wet/dry line. This time got down with my “Garrett Carrot” right away. Bingo...good signal but acted like can slaw. Finally had the scrap or “script” in my hand. What stood out was no magnetism, and a very, very low gold level 100% reading of only #12.2, the gold Italian 14 karat bracelet that was featured here was #12.4. Same kind of reading I had at the last spot. Had I considered the reading, I would have stayed put and found it! Period!


So...some alloy gold, took a Dremel knife to shave an edge and a thin curl rolled off that felt like butter. Very soft.


Now the perforations....??? The snips. I have seen and even believe that I have in the past recovered/discovered something similar. “Boss”, ever see that pattern of a trim shears before???
One of the other edges looks like it to was shaved or sheared with a plain conventional knife. Thin, easily bendable, but not magnetic. No discernable pattern on either side. Lucky me...don’t need in the least another Cuban 2 Centavos!!! Hee! Hee!!! (;


See pics and weights. Ideas appreciated. The pic with the 8 Reales coin, just for size comparison. About 7/8” of an inch long, 1.3 grams. •THANKS AND GOOD HUNTING•.


Same Mystery Item
Photo by Steve in Sebastian

If you have any ideas on the mystery object, sent me an email.

---

Below is a coin that will be featured in the upcoming Sedwick auction.



You can see the mark of Joseph Edwards in the bottom left quadrant of the cross. Since coins were in short supply in the colonies, foreign coins were often used. This is an excellent example. How it got to Boston is anyone's guess - undoubtedly a fascinating journey.

I found the following notice by Joseph Edwards.



---


I was told of a fellow that said he doesn't think much of this blog but he still checks it regularly to see what finds and reports there might be. That to me is high praise, since the original purpose of the blog was to issue such reports, and it has evidently achieved that goal, but while providing a little something for everybody, the blog has become something that even people who don't like it have to read. Being useful might be even better than being liked. The google stats say that the blog is getting very close to two million page views. I don't know exactly how that differs from the hit counter, but it does.

---


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, the surf looks like it will be running around 2 - 4 feet for a while. The tides have also moderated. No more big negative tides.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net