Monday, February 26, 2018

2/26/18 Report - Mystery Button. Old Metal Detecting Records and Finds. Big Surf Predicted for Next Week.


Written by the TreasueGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Dug Unknown Button for ID.
Here is a button that I haven't researched.  I just found it in a jug of old crusty pennies.  Any ideas appreciated.  Below is the back of the same button.  Unfortunately it is obscured by crust and needs cleaned.

Button Back.
---

I always tell people to keep records of their metal detecting finds.  I often regret not having kept more detailed records and have never felt like I kept too much.

My wife was cleaning out a closet and found some old records.  They seem to cover part of 1989.  I was especially glad to see that on a few occasions I put down the year in addition to the day and month, which I always recorded.  When making the records I guess I didn't think it was necessary to record the year, but a few decades later it really helps.  I have some old records that I have to guess the year and don't know if my guess is right or not.

Metal Detecting Records From 1989 Discovered.

I've talked about some of my earliest records from the first year or two when I started metal detecting.  Those records did not have a year and I can only guess now when that was.  At that time I kept track of the coins I found.  The records that were found today only record gold and silver finds.  I quit keeping track of coins when I was targeting jewelry.

Beside the date, detector used, short description of finds, I also included the beach and specific areas of the beach, such as "just north of rocks" or "on far side of sand bar."

Back then my records were useful for keeping track of hot spots.  Now when I read those old records they help me remember the finds and experiences.

There were some pretty good days.  On the page I am looking at, I see that on 9/15/89 I found an 18K garnet ring, 14K blue sapphire ring, 14K man's gold nugget ring, one small hollow 18K medallion with small ruby.  I do not remember that day.

On 7/4 there was a small diamond man's ring, a 10K high school class ring, a 14K lady's diamond baguette and sapphire ring, 14K nugget ring with three small diamonds  and 18K medallion.  I do remember that day.  I remember telling the guy that made my detector about it.  That is probably why I remember it.

5/18 I definitely remember even though I found only one ring that day.  It was a nice national championship ring.

Not only did the records tell me where a lot was found, they also told me where the better stuff was found.

I think if you keep good records, some day you'll be glad you did.

By the way, in the back of the closet my wife found a jug full of crusty old pennies.  The button was in with the pennies.  Most of the pennies are totally encrusted or destroyed.  I guess that is why I didn't spend them.

---

The weather has been the same for a few weeks.  It looks like there could be a change in beach conditions.

Source: MagicSeaweed.com.
That is a big bump predicted for next Monday.

Feel

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net