Saturday, February 15, 2014

2/15/14 Report - A Little More About Treasure Beaches and Antique Valentines & Eyewear


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


There is a nice cool breeze this morning with the wind coming out of the west.

Last night was a full moon.  It looks like the low tides will be nice and low today, but the high tides not much different.


 February 14 to 16 the American Stamp Dealers Association is holding its convention at the Broward Convention Center.  All over the news is an 1857 Valentine's Day card that was being sold at the convention.  I'm surprised but glad that that is receiving so much attention.  I have a number of Valentines Cards from the 1910s.  I showed some of them last year in my 2/13/13 post.


Here is a link for a forum on Native American artifacts sent in by Bill M.

 
Thanks for the link Bill.
 
 
When were eyeglasses first used?  I'm not talking about spectacles that sat on the nose, but those with the side pieces that go over the ears.
 
Previously they were found to date to as early as 1727 but have now been found to go back as far as 1714.
 
Here is a great site on antique eyewear.
 
 
 
I'm taking a bit of a break from the series I started on reading beaches.  I've decided to organize it well so I could present it better.  There will be a lot of new information on that presented when I get the time to put it all together in one clear presentation.
 

I'll just add a few comments today.

Did you ever notice that if you look north and south from down around the water line, you won't be able to see forever?  Despite most discussions and illustrations the beach is not a straight line.  As you look one way or another along the water line, you'll see a bend in both directions which you won't be able to see around.  Those curves and bends make a big difference even if they don't look like they would.

I remember some time back in the eighties watching Mo Molinar on the Virgalona ( I think it was) anchored as close to the beach as they could get blowing holes.  Now that was 40 or more years ago.  And the beach right beside where they were working is still producing cobs.  That is forty years after they spent a lot of time working right in front of the beach there. 

I've seen other boats since then working right in the same area over the years. 

If you stand on the beach there near the water line and look south, within a hundred yards is a bend where the beach curves a little to the east and then west.  You can't see around that corner without walking up to it.

If you look north in the same direction you can see farther, probably three hundred yards, the beach curves out to the east to make another point that you can't see around.

The hot spot is right around the most concave point of the U shaped curve.  It has been there over forty years, and I suspect a lot longer than that.

I'm not going to get into this real deep today, but I want to recommend that you take a look up and down the beach to get a sense of the curvature and direction of the beach.  None of the beach hot spots that I know about are on any of the sandy points that project out to the east.

Become familiar with the curvature of the beaches, especially as it relates to spots that produce.

You'll find that many spots, like the one I mentioned above, produce over the decades.

Well, I didn't really intend to get into that much today, but there it is.

I'm going to hold back on a lot until I get it well organized and produce illustrations and diagrams.


It always helps me to hear from readers.  I like to know what they are thinking and what they are interested in.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net