Monday, February 17, 2014

2/16/14 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches, Copper Sheathing, and Did de Leon Ever Land in St. Augustine


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


One Treasure Coast Beach Yesterday Near Low Tide
The Treasure Coast beaches haven't changed hardly at all for the past couple of weeks.

The weather is beautiful and there are a lot of snow birds on the beach.

The beach, though, still looks very much like a summer beach, as you might be able to tell from this photo.

It was mushy all the way to the water.

Another Treasure Coast beach was slightly better, but far from anything that would cause me to upgrade my beach detecting conditions rating.  The cut that I showed about a week ago was still in place, as was the sand bar in front of it.  Like I said, not much has changed.

There weren't many shells, but there were a few shells and small fossil pieces.

I mentioned a few days ago that people have been picking up shards and things like that.

Here is a piece of copper with nails found by J.K.   He wanted opinions.  What do you think?



I won't give you mine yet.  I don't want to influence you.

A few days ago I told you to go and watch how the water moves sand and things.  I made a video to illustrate some things about that but haven't yet managed to get it to load into the blog.  Hopefully I'll get that to work.  I was able to capture some good illustrations.

Even a very calm surf and small waves move things.  It is just on a smaller scale.

I'm trying to organize a good presentation on reading beaches. Until I get it done (there is a LOT to it)  I'll just throw a few more things out there from time to time.


They are saying that the jet stream has been moving farther south and that will bring colder and longer winters to the US.  That has happened this year.  We'll see what happens in the future.


Thanks to Pete R. who pointed out a mistake I made in my previous post concerning eyeglasses.  It should have read, " Previously they were found to date to as early as 1727 but have now been found to go back as far as 1714. "


Any help in dating items can be useful at some point.  It is always helpful to have an idea about how old dug items might be.


You can't always go by what our historic markers say.  That is one thing T. D. Allman points out in his book on Florida history.

Press releases by the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park claim that the park is where "Ponce de Leon landed in St. Augustine in 1513 searching for a Fountain of Youth."

Allman claims that the Fountain of Youth myth was created by Washington Irving, who was not beyond embellishing history, to put it mildly, and Allman explains that there is no evidence that de Leon ever landed in Florida north of Cape Canaveral.

I've been waiting to see if my video clip would load today.  I'm giving up on it for now.

Happy hunting
TreasureGuide@comcast.net