Friday, August 31, 2018

8/31/18 Report - Mayan Ritual Mask Discovered. Finally Some Activity in the Atlantic. Circus World Token Find.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Circus World Token.
The big news for me today is the activity in the Atlantic.  After a very long quiet summer with very little other than calm seas and building beaches, we now have to areas to watch.  The first is southeast of the Bahamas, and the other is still closer to Africa than us.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

The disturbance to the southeast of us is not expected to become a cyclone in the next 48 hours.  After checking Ventusky.com I don't expect it to affect our beaches much at all.

The other system is expected to become a hurricane, but it looks to me like it will stay far out in the Atlantic.

As you know, any of this could change, so it is worth watching.

Although the beach conditions haven't been good, there have been some nice shipwreck finds, as you've seen.

I haven't detected much at all this summer due to a variety of factors, and much of my detecting was on an inland site that produced some very nice finds.   I've posted some of those in the past.

I spent a good bit of time catching up on cleaning and inspecting finds.  The token above is one that I finally got around to cleaning.  I couldn't see what it looked like until I cleaned it off.

I expect to get back out to do some beach hunting in the near future.

---

Archaeologists have discovered a ritual mask in Mexico which is thought to represent the face of one of Mesoamerica’s most important historical rulers.


According to the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), the mask was found inside a building known as “House E” in the palace complex at Palenque—an ancient Mayan city in the south of the country and one of its most precious archaeological gems...

This is a good article that includes a video of underwater artifacts.


Here is the link more.
https://www.newsweek.com/1500-year-old-ritual-mask-longest-reigning-ancient-mayan-king-discovered-1093287

---

I'm not expecting much soon, but hopefully we'll get some weather that helps beach conditions before long.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net