Thursday, August 16, 2018

8/16/18 Report - Another Favorite Find. Gold and Silver Prices. Tropical Storm Ernesto.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



A few days ago I talked about my favorite sea glass find.   That one piece of red uranium sea glass really sticks out as a clear favorite.  It is the most valuable and most unique.

My second favorite piece of sea glass is a distant second.  It is a piece of blue sea glass that is ideally shaped for jewelry making.

There are a lot of different kinds of thing you can find on the Treasure Coast beaches.  There are coins, shells, fossils, jewelry, artifacts, etc.  For most of those categories I have a favorite.  For some categories, there is a clear favorite.  For other categories, it is hard to pick a favorite.

It is difficult for me to pick a favorite jewelry find.  Jewelry finds can be divided into sub-categories.  There are Spanish colonial shipwreck jewelry finds and then there are vintage and modern jewelry finds.  It is hard for me to compare those.

There are also rings, watches and other things.  It is hard to compare many of those, especially the very good ones.

Some jewelry favorites stick out because of value.  Others stick out because of age or history.   And some are distinguished by the circumstances surrounding the find.

The ring shown above is one of my favorite jewelry finds.  It is not THE favorite jewelry find. There are so many good ones.

This one has seven quality diamonds, each of which is well over one carat.  It is a large man's ring.   But what makes it really stick out for me is the story of the hunt.  I told that story before, so I won't go into it in detail again.

To boil it down, I had a little time after work before I had to do something else.  I had my detector and gear in the car, and wanted to do a little detecting, but didn't have much time. I felt I didn't have enough time, but something kept telling me to go.  The traffic was heavy and by the time I got there, I only had about fifteen minutes to detect.  I got in the water,and right away hit this ring.  I then quickly packed up and left.

It was one of those times when I felt pulled to a find.  That is part of what made it so memorable to me.  It was one of those experiences that I remember well many years later.

I also find it difficult to difficult to pick a favorite artifact find.  Many of those favorites are firsts, such as my first 18th century military button.  Others are unique in some way.

Some favorites consist of multiple finds.   That would include two coin rings found on one of my birthday weekend.  Each one was a favorite, but the pairing of a ring containing a 20th century gold coin with a ring containing an 18th century gold coin on the same birthday weekend, helped to make them extra special.

---

Silver Prices Six Months.


Gold Prices Six Months.

As you can see both silver and gold has been falling the last six months.

---

Tropical Storm Ernesto is heading northeast and away from us.

The surf is around one or two feet today.  The low tide will not be quite as big today.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net