Tuesday, August 7, 2018

8/8/18 Report - Older World Coins Found in Florida. Tropical Storm Debby.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Mystery Coin From the Old Finds Box.
I found this in a bunch of miscellaneous world coins that I never looked at much.  As you can see it is heavily worn.  I couldn't see the date, but since Elizabeth II is on it, I knew it couldn't be very old.  Here is what the back looks like.

Back of the Mystery Coin.
It seems to say "half" something, but I couldn't tell what.  I was going to post it as a mystery coin, but then I ran across another coin that is very similar, but not the same.  Here it is.

New Penny.
That won't take much research to figure out now.

One thing that I noticed as I looked through a miscellaneous group of world coins is how, just like with cobs, when you can't see the date, you can still often get a good date range from the monarch that appears on the coin.

I then ran across the following coin with George VI on it.

Coin Showing George VI.
George VI was before Elizabeth II, so I knew this coin was earlier.  I turned it over and was a little surprised by what I saw.

Five Cents.
It is earlier, as expected, but from Hong Kong.

You can find almost anything on Florida beaches, including coins from almost anywhere.

Here is another one from the pile of miscellaneous world coins.

Mexican Coin.
It's not surprising to find a Mexican coin in Florida, but given the condition and everything, I was a little surprised by the date.

Mexico 1929 1 Centavo
Nice looking coin if it wasn't for the corrosion on the other side.  I suspect that the erosion can be removed.

One thing that impressed me as I looked through the world coins was the similarity to many U. S. coins.  You see presidents or monarchs,  a lot of eagles, a lady liberty, oak leaves and olive branches, to name just a few common features.

Notice the crown bearing the incuse word "LIBERTY."  You can find the same thing on some U. S. coins.  Time and time again you'll see features on foreign coins that are almost exactly like those you'll find on U. S. coins.

---

Tropical Storm Debbie.
Source nhc.noaa.gov

I've been watching for some tropical weather to move some of the accumulated summer sand.  We now have Tropical Storm Debby, but she is too far away to affect the Treasure Coast.

The small Treasure Coast surf will be getting even smaller for several days.

---