Thursday, November 8, 2018

11/8/18 Report - Mint-State Silver Coin Beach Find. Lost and Found Diamond Ring. Garden Treasures.

Written by The TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

One Ounce Silver Coin in Plastic Container.

A day or two ago I mentioned how you can on rare occasion find a near mint state coin on the beach.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  Here is one I found in it's plastic container at the water's edge one day.

I was awed by the fine condition of the coin, especially compared to most of the coins that I find.  Most are in poor condition.  In comparison, this one has a strikingly fine appearance.  I think it is just beautiful.  I didn't take it out of its container, so you will see some dust, scratches and reflections from the plastic, but the coin is beautiful.  Here is a closer look.

Closer View of the Same Coin as Seen Through Plastic Container.

Another View Showing the Mirrored Surface of the Background.
I was just struck by the beauty of the coin and thought I'd show it.  It is so rare to get something in that good of condition on a beach.

---

Story of One Lost and Found Diamond Ring.

Sometimes the most amazingly unbelievable things happen.  One incident that happened to me about fifty years ago just came to my mind this morning and it seems just as unbelievable to me today as it did then - in fact, more so.

Anyhow, I was dating my wife, and I was wearing a diamond ring.  I never, never, never wear any jewelry, and haven't for many many years.  I'm a very active physical person, even though I've slowed down some lately.  I'd rather cut a tree with an axe than try to get a chain saw started, and am as likely to dig in the earth with my hands as use a shovel, so I don't like anything hanging on my fingers, hands or arms.

Anyhow, about fifty years ago when I was dating, I had a diamond ring, which my father gave to me as a present when I graduated from graduate school and got my first good job.  It never really occurred to me before, but this morning I had to wonder how he bought a diamond ring at that time. I sent money home from school every month when I got my assistant ship money.  I lived VERY frugally - ate rice three times a day every day one year.  He must have saved some of the money I sent home every month to buy something for me.  Me having and wearing a diamond ring back then is hard enough for me to grasp, but there is more to it.

I had taken my wife-to-be out on a date, and I took her home.  It was a little old house down a long gravel country lane in hilly rural West Virginia.  It was maybe about eleven o'clock at night and pitch black.

After I took her  home and left, a few miles down the road I noticed that my diamond ring was not on my finger.  Panic hit me.  I turned around and drove back to her home.  The house lights were off and there were no lights other than my headlights and the stars.   As I pulled down the lane, in front of her house, I saw one glint of light in the headlights in the gravel.  I got out and there was the diamond ring.  Boy was I relieved.  How unlikely was that - to see that one small flash of light in the gravel in the black of night.  Hard to believe, but true.

---

If you've ever noticed, a lot of very good accidental finds are made by gardeners.

While digging in the backyard of his Wiltshire farmhouse in England in February 2015, Irwin hit a cold, flat surface, he explains on his company's website. He was trying to install electricity cables so his children could play ping pong in their old barn, but instead he unearthed an untouched 1,500-year-old Roman mosaic...

Here is the link for the rest of that story.

https://www.countryliving.com/gardening/news/a38257/roman-villa-digging-garden/

It helps when you live on top of an ancient Roman residence.

---

No real change in beach conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net