Sunday, December 23, 2018

12/23/18 Report - New Silver Coin Sight Find. A Few Metal Detecting Tips. Bigger Surf Coming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Nice Silver Sight Find by One of This Blog's Readers.
I just received the following email.

Yesterday the wife and I went to a local wildlife management area in Volusia county to do some scouting for hunting. While there I stopped in a nice spot where crushed limestone had just been replenished to fill in a large void in the road from last years hurricanes. The wife looks down and says "Hey there's a quarter!" Laying on top of new soft limerick that had just been rained on popped out this coin. All the hours I spend swinging a detector and she finds this sitting on the surface. No idea how it got in the limerock  fill but there it was. 

Best wishes.

Thanks for sharing. Nice find.

It's always nice to find a silver coin, especially an unexpected sight find.  

Wind or rain can be enough to uncover coins and other objects.  I'd often do some eye-balling on beaches after a good wind.  Coins and other things would be exposed.

When one is found, more than likely there are more.  I often say, Birds of a feather flock together.  I'd check the area with a detector, and I'd also try to find out where the fill came from.  That might be a good place to hunt too.

You can quickly scan way more ground visually than you can with a ten inch or whatever coil.

Dale J. said thanks along with a list of  several tips he got from reading this blog.  The first one on the list was about signals that disappear when digging a hole.  Very often when a target seems to disappear, it has moved in the hole, either slipping deeper in the hole or sticking to the side of the hole standing on end so the signal disappears.  In either case, keep digging.  Dig out the bottom and sides of the hole, and most often you'll find the target again.

There is also another reason that signals sometimes disappear.  That one has to do with ground mineralization.  Digging can disturb the ground mineralization and create false signals or make it more difficult for the detector to detect the target.  That happens a lot in a black sand.  A detector can adjust to a layer of black sand that transitions slowly, but when you cut a hole in it, the sharp edge can cause falsing and loss of the target signal.  Again, keep digging and spread the dug sand out.

For black sand or wet salt mineralization, sweep along with the mineralization rather than across it.  Along the water's edge, that means sweeping parallel to the water line.

He also said he liked yesterday's Christmas post.  I sometimes do posts that I like, but I don't know if anybody else will like them.   Not everybody will like every post.  My readers include everybody from the arm chair treasure hunter to the professional, so some posts will appeal more to one group or another.  Sometimes I just post what I like or feel like saying.  It is always nice to hear what the readers like.

I think some posts are good but don't get enough attention, and some posts get a lot of attention, and I don't know why.   


If a post gets posted on some big national web site it always gets read by a lot of people.  For example, CNN Travel published a link to my blog one time and so the blog got a ton of hits then.  

I'll probably do a post on the top blog posts at the end of the year.  I noticed one post that had very few readers even though I think it is something everybody, including myself, can benefit by remembering.  It was about how to determine the optimal sweep speed.  
 

I think a lot of people sweep too fast for optimal depth.  Of course, you don't need optimal depth for a lot of targets, and you can move along quickly.  So is the trade-off worth it.  Hard to say.  Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

If you are using a motion or discrimination mode, you can also sweep too slow.  I think it is a good idea to determine your optimal sweep speed for maximum sensitivity, whether you use it or not.

---

Did you see the beautiful full moon last night.  Really nice.

The tides are big and it still looks like we'll get a nice increase in surf after Christmas.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net