Thursday, December 20, 2018

12/20/18 Report - Mystery Object. WW I Shipwreck. Copper Alloy Figurine. Artifact: Chain and Clasp.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Mystery Object.

Somebody found this very light stone in a shell pile.  It floats in water.  I've found those before, and I think I looked into it, but it was a long time ago, and I'm not sure I correctly recall.  I think it is pumice.  Is that correct?

Here is a closeup view of a piece I had.

Closer View of a Similar Piece.


---

Copper Celtic Goddess Figurine


Hundreds of artefacts were uncovered during the National Trust’s dig at Lamp Hill, which suggest the settlement was built between 100BC and 150AD.

Among the 300 finds were coins, cosmetic implements, horse harness fittings, brooches and a ring...

“The most striking find of the dig for me was a small 5cm copper alloy human figurine, made in the second Century AD,” she said.

“The faceless individual appears to be holding a ‘torc’ – a high status Celtic neck ring and is thought to represent the god ‘Cernunnos’ – the god of fertility...

Here is the link for more about that.

https://www.royston-crow.co.uk/news/wimpole-archaeological-dig-uncovers-celtic-goddess-figurine-and-2-000-year-old-settlement-1-5825632

---

USS San Diego

WASHINGTON (AP) — A hundred years ago, a mysterious explosion hit the only major U.S. warship to sink during World War I. Now the Navy believes it has the answer to what doomed the USS San Diego: An underwater mine set by a German submarine cruising in waters just miles from New York City.

That’s the conclusion of an investigation by scientists, archaeologists and historians convened by the U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command. Last summer, the researchers sent an unmanned underwater vessel to inspect the site off New York’s Long Island. Their analysis ruled out a torpedo and sabotage, two other possible scenarios.

Here is that link.

https://www.apnews.com/8c85bfa0776d4cad8bc329da08beba51

---

It is easy to make mistakes about isolated finds.  I can think of some really great finds that I didn't appreciate at all when I found them.  I just didn't know enough about them.  I eventually learned more and appreciated them more.

Of course, it sometimes works the other way too.  Sometimes things that you think are great turn out to be nothing special.

Here is an example of one find that I didn't think much of when I found it.  I'm still not totally sure about it.

Clasp of Silver Chain Found on Treasure Coast Beach.

When I compared that clasp of that silver chain to the clasp of a gold chain found on the Atocha, I was really surprised by the similarity.  They seem to be made exactly the same, but as you would expect, the silver didn't hold up so well.

Clasp of Gold Chain Found on the Atocha.
---

I planned to go on a walk to see if any more old bottles washed up, but the water was too high and murky to see anything, so I didn't get to do that yet.

The wind is strong from the south.  The surf will be around two feet for a day or two, but then there will be a few days with an even smaller surf.

My email doesn't seem to be working correctly, so there might be some delay in my responses.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net.