Wednesday, December 12, 2018

12/12/18 Report - Another Favorite Coin Find: Ferdinand VII. Ancient Hounds and Jackals Game. Looking at Metal Detecting Views.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

1809 Escudo Found by Jonah Martinez
Photo by Jonah.
As you can see, this is obviously not a coin from the 1715 Fleet.  It is from a very complicated time in history.

It is listed in many numismatic books as belonging to the reign of Ferdinand VII, however Ferdinand, whose reign began in 1808, was jailed in May of 1808 after Napolean took over and Jose Napolean ruled.  Ferdinand later got out of jail and returned to power.


Other Side of the Same Coin.
Photo by Jonah Martinez.
Yesterday I showed a bunch of Royals that are naturally among Jonah's favorite finds, but this one is another of his favorites.

Jonah said, 1809 8 escudo is also up there. The most expensive rare coins I’ve found are up there but 1670 or 1809 are my favorites - not worth the most but the oddest of finds where you lease expected to find them. Love the history of their journey, where they started from to the end resting place. Love the odd ones.

Thanks for sharing Jonah.   


The coins I showed yesterday and today aren't the kind of thing you can expect to find everyday, or even every year for that matter, but returning to my recent theme, there is always some place to hunt and something to find - even while you are still looking for the pot at the end of the rainbow.

You can make finds on a daily basis.  Some will be better than others.  You will want to make the best of your time.   But that depends upon what you want to do.  Some people just metal detect for the recreation.  Anything they find is a bonus.

You can be more consistently productive you are interested in a lot of different kinds of things and become more knowledgeable about each of them.  There will be times when it is easier to find one type of treasure rather than another.

One of the things I've been trying to show lately is that some of the things you might overlook can be both interesting and valuable.  That is the case with things like modern error coins or paper money.  It can also be true of fossils or sea glass.  Some people are surprised to learn that sea glass can sell for good money.   That is if you find some nice pieces.

Of course it isn't all about money all the time.  Sometimes it is just about what you like or what you are interested in.

I know that some of my favorite finds are worth beans.  I'm not set on maximizing the economic value of my finds all the time.  For me, that takes some of the fun out of it.

Back in the day, I had some time to detect a lot, and I tried to prove to myself that I could make a living at it if I wanted to.  I found out that I could, but for me, I didn't want to do that.

It is about what you like and what you want to do.  I like figuring things out and learning about things.  That is what makes it interesting.

There have been several things in my life that I worked at until I pretty much figured it out, and then I moved on to something else.  That is just how I am.  Once I learn what I can do and what it takes, I might or might not decide to continue with it.

It is all about you, and what you want to do.  If you really want to accomplish something difficult, you know it will take a lot of effort, so then you have to decide if it is going to be worth it to you.

For most of us, I would guess that metal detecting is not what we want to do with our lives.  It is just something that is interesting and fun.

---
A pattern of small holes cut into the floor of an ancient rock shelter in Azerbaijan shows that one of the world's most ancient board games was played there by nomadic herders around 4,000 years ago, according to an archaeologist who has investigated the find.

Walter Crist, a research associate with the American Museum of Natural History in New York, visited the rock shelter in a national park in Azerbaijan last year, searching for traces of the ancient game now known as "58 Holes."

The game is also sometimes called "Hounds and Jackals." British archaeologist Howard Carter found a game set with playing pieces fashioned like those animals in the tomb of the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Amenemhat IV, who lived in the 18th century B.C....
Here is the link.

https://www.livescience.com/64267-ancient-board-game-nomads-discovered.html

---

There was a cold northeast wind yesterday, but I won't get a chance to visit the beaches today.  Maybe someone else will give some reports.  I'd expect some small cuts.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net