Monday, June 10, 2019

6/10/19 Report - Finding Good Metal Detecting Spots - Sports Jewelry Examples. 2019 W Mint Mark Quarters in Circulation.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


2019 Quarter with W Mint Mark.

The US Mint has announced that limited mintage 2019-W quarters are being released directly into circulation starting in April 2019. These are the first quarters to feature the ‘W’ mint mark of the West Point Mint, and have a total mintage of just 2 million per design.

Here is a link for more about that.

http://blog.greysheet.com/us-mint-releases-special-2019-w-quarters-for-circulation/

Thanks to Chris S. for pointing that out to me.

---

Yesterday I posted a picture of the jewelry that was stolen from LeVeon Bell in Hollywood, Florida.  I also talked a bit about how different kinds of treasures are distributed, making the point that it isn't all random - very far from it.

LeVeon Bell's jewelry reminded me of the sports related jewelry that I've found, which includes college and professional championship rings as well as other jewelry. 

I'm glad I kept photos of many of my finds.  Every week or two or so, depending upon how much I  found, I'd get my finds together and take a photo before taking them to the bank safe deposit box.  The photos were handy, but I wish I had labeled them better.  These many years later I don't know the dates covered by each photo.

I wanted to talk about some examples, so got I out some of my photos.  After looking through a few photos, I found a few finds that I wanted to mention.

On the right (below), you'll see a photo of a college football championship ring that was found in the Fort Lauderdale area.

In the top row, second from the left, you';; see a very large square-shaped gold ring.  One large human evidently wore it.  I forget its weight, but it is both large and heavy.  It fits on my thumb with room to spare.

In the second row down, third ring over, I think that is a professional soccer championship ring that I found.  I think I posted it in my blog one time, but couldn't seem to find it on the blog.  I can't see it good enough in the photo to tell for sure if that is it, but I think it should be because it looks like it and I think it was found about the same time as the bigger ring.



Below those rings on the lighter colored cardboard background, is what I think is another sports related piece.  Just to the right of the chain, you might be able to make out a diamond encrusted number thirty-three.  I'm not absolutely sure that is sports related, but from what I was able to learn about it, I think it is.

Unrelated to my topic today is a large gold bracelet near the bottom with small gold bracelet inside it - a babies bracelet.  

Back to the sports jewelry - where do you think you might have a good chance of finding a college championship ring?    Here is where the one shown above was found - it was found in the ocean where a para-sailing boat picked up customers in front of a resort where the team was staying for the Orange Bowl.  There are three things that make that spot a good spot - (1)  numerous college athletes from a championship team stayed there, (2) a lot of activity taking place at the location , and (3) water that would facilitate the loss and swallow up the ring, and possibly slippery sun tan lotion.

I suspect that the huge ring at the top was lost by an athlete, but I can't prove it.  What makes me think so?  First, other sports jewelry was found at nearly the same spot.  The professional championship ring (the one shown just below it) were made in the same hole.  Secondly, a TV program that featured sports stars from various sports competing in a variety of different types of competitions was made in front of that resort.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what the TV program was called now.  Again, you have the same three factors.  A lot of highly successful sports figures were congregated there.  There was strenuous unrestrained activities taking place.  And again water.

If you are alert to what is happening or has happened at various locations and think about it, you can identify locations where certain types of things are likely to be found.  This applies to other types of treasures.  Some spots will be much better than others.

You can find sports jewelry anywhere.  There is always the possibility of an item being found anywhere, but there are places where your chances are much better, and it applies to other types of treasure.  It is more likely that you will find a Spanish treasure coin on the Treasure Coast than a lot of other places, although there is always that odd possibility that something can be find where you would never expect it.



Here is a side note - sometimes lost items tell unwelcome tales.  You might be surprised how often your attempts to return something like a championship ring is not welcome.  I've told the following example before, but it isn't the only one I know of.  When one championship ring was researched and the phone number was called, the wife of the athlete answered the phone.  And when told where the ring was found, she said she suspected that the player visited the area, which is where his ex-girlfriend lived, even though he denied it.

An NBA championship player was called about his lost and found ring, and he didn't want to hear about it.  He said to never call him again.  It is hard to say why, but it seems that something shady was going on.  Maybe not - I can only speculate, but I can imagine a variety of scenarios.

I don't think LeVeon Bell is married.  If he is, he might not want to tell that his girlfriends(?) stole the jewelry, as was stated in the article.

Anyhow, a fair percentage of the time, attempts to return such jewelry is not appreciated.


---

We are still having a small surf.  Not much change is expected.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net