Friday, June 7, 2019

6/7/19 Report - Metal Detecting Watches.


Written by the TreasureGuide  for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Small Group of Watch Finds.
I've found a lot of watches in my day - probably in the hundreds.  I had a funeral this week and worked on some other details related to that and didn't get to do any metal detecting.  I didn't feel like doing a post this morning either.

Sometimes for a diversion I just pull out some old finds and see what I can find.  I don't remember many of them.  This group of watches was in a bag. Knowing a little more than I did when I originally found them and having better tools and equipment now, I occasionally find something pretty good in with my old junk finds.

I never understood why so many people lost watches on the beach and in the water.  You can find a good number of dive watches, which makes more sense to me.  I've sold a good number of dive watches and knives.  I've found a good number of dive weights too, and should sell some of them.

Among the more common beach watch finds are the ladies Gucci watches with the thin rigid band and the replaceable plastic things of different colors that surround the face of the watch (See example below.).  I just grabbed the first image I could find.

Ladies Gucci Watch.
From Pinterest.
I guess they come off easy.  Most of those that I've found were missing the colored plastic thing.

Today I came across what appears to be an old pocket watch that I haven't researched yet.  I don't know much about it other than it is heavy (nearly six ounces) and is labeled ILLINOIS.


Pocket Watch Find.
I don't really recall where or when I found that one, but I do need to research it

If you never find watches, it might be because of discrimination.  And an ID meter won't correctly identify them.

Some of my most valuable finds have been watches.  When I wear a watch, which is seldom, it is usually one that I found.  I wore a German made watch for a long time when I was consulting.

You might also find it surprising how often they come out of the water still ticking and with the correct time.

I did a couple videos to show how metal detectors respond to watches.  It also depends upon how the watch is positioned.

Here are the links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGswg64oWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqZ9XJiKy7o

I found a good number of watches in dips near the water line with shells.

That's all for now.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net