Saturday, September 14, 2019

9/14/19 Report - Tropical Storm Humberto and Higher Surf Predictions. My Second Field Test With The Equinox: Finds and Thoughts.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com

I'm leading with the surf this morning.  I don't often do that, but the predictions at this point look encouraging.  Not only is the surf supposed to be high, but it lasts for a while.  That is something we've been missing, especially with Dorian.  It would be nice if that is what we get.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

The map is really lighting up.  We now have a tropical storm named Humberto, that is supposed to become a hurricane, however it will be staying out in the Atlantic.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
That doesn't mean it won't sent some surf this way, but MagicSeaWeed is evidently counting on some surf from other sources as well.  We'll see.

From what I've seen of the beaches so far, which is limited to South Hutchinson Island, I'm not increasing my beach conditions rating yet.  The shipwreck beaches that I looked at yesterday showed no erosion.

After looking at John Brooks and Frederick Douglass I looked for a beach where I could get a little productive practice with the Equinox.  The first one I looked was no better than the wreck beaches, but then the next one after that looked more promising.  It had a low scooped out front, so I looked like a good place to get in some practice.

Here is the result of about an hour of hunting in the wet salt sand.

Coins and Small Gold Band Found Yesterday.

I found the coins and ring shown above while only digging three junk targets - a sinker, piece of copper, and a lapel pin back.  As I've always said, targets are not distributed randomly, and if you pick the right areas to search, you won't be bothered by a lot of junk.

The targets were arranged in a fairly narrow line, with one exception.  One of two nickels was found closer to the water than the other items.

Even though I would call it a coin line, the targets were pretty far apart - maybe five to ten yards on average.  Still, by focusing on the coin line I was able to find targets quickly enough to get in some good practice with the detector.

One thing I observed was that the nickels and ring both showed a 13 on the target ID meter.  That is the same number that I've also seen for some pull tabs.  Once again, that points out the danger of using target ID numbers as the sole criterion for deciding whether to dig or not.

In my 9/11 post, I questioned the reliability and accuracy of the target ID numbers.  In the near future I'll have a lot more to say about target ID numbers and making dig/no-dig decisions.

Joe D. offered the following observations.

   I agree with you on the conductivity numbers on the Equinox! I have the 800 that i got in January! I don't pay a whole lot of attention to them! I use the 5 tone setting, and rely more on the sound to locate and identify targets! I'm far from being proficient with it yet, but i like the small targets i can now find, over the Garrett AT Pro! It seems to also do much better in the wet beach sand; less falsing! I also like the Equinoxes DD coil , over the Garett version! Its more responsive! Or maybe the Equinoxes software and hardware make better use of the configuration! I have bought a few accessories for the Equinox; most recently a new telescoping shaft from Detecting Innovations! Now my Equinox will fit into a backpack! I also got a silicone cover and ties that also came with a silicone handle gasket that keeps water from entering the battery compartment! I haven't had it under water yet, but i can probably double my depth safely with these installed!
Thanks Joe.

Joe also sent me a link to a video on target ID numbers.  I'll present when I get into the subject of target ID numbers again.

---

The Atlantic is active now, so keep watching.  I'd like to get some beach reports from the Vero/Sebastian areas.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net