Monday, September 9, 2019

9/9/19 Report - Dorian Visits Canada. Two More Systems. More on Beach Closures. Bottle Find.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
It looks like there are a still a couple more systems to watch, but nothing imminent.
Dorian hit Canada too.

TORONTO (AP) — The storm that already walloped the Virgin Islands, Bahamas and North Carolina lashed at far-eastern Canada with hurricane-force winds for much of Sunday, knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people before weakening and heading into the North Atlantic.

Dorian had hit near the city of Halifax Saturday afternoon, ripping roofs off apartment buildings, toppling a huge construction crane and uprooting trees. There were no reported deaths in Canada, though the storm was blamed for at least 50 elsewhere along its path...

Here is that link.

Alberto S. sent the following message.
I found this in the City of Vero official website (see below). Based on the update published, all beaches and parks would be open as of 9/5 with a couple of exceptions but that was not the case since I made my way down A1A late on Sept 5 and the police cars were still blocking the entrance. The attached image also includes the name, email and phone number of the person signing the communication in case others might be interested in sending him their concerns with beach closings.
 

Thanks Alberto.

Did anyone see severe beach erosion?  I did see where some of the most recent beach renourishment sand got washed away, but I'd hardly call that severe.

I think some of the confusion might be due to city beaches being confused with county beaches.  The city seemed to have their beaches open earlier.

---

Chris N. sent me a long email.   I won't post the entire message, but here is one very good tip he provided.

Do what you want to do, without breaking the "LAW."  Cameras are a great tool for your Safety especially when approached by whomever and the Buddy System too   Chris N.

A camera can be very handy for documenting what actually happens.  That can be very helpful if you are accused of something.

---

Erin A. found a few bottles washed up by the storm.  Here is an older one.


Find and photo by Erin A.
---

I haven't heard any reports of treasure coins being found after Dorian yet.  I thought the two days of big surf and north winds would do more.  

There were a few fossils washed up, and some bottles, but not much. Maybe there are some that haven't been reported yet. Keep watching the Atlantic. It isn't too late for something to happen there. I plan to get some detector to detector comparisons in field conditions soon. As I said, my first field test with the Equinox showed well for the Equinox. It will take a lot more experience before I feel like I really know that detector though. I'll try to keep you up on my progress. Happy hunting, TreasureGuide@comcast.net