Thursday, June 14, 2018

6/14/18 Report - What I Found While Scouting For a Good Detecting Site. Mystery Item. Christopher Columbus Letter Returned To Vatican. High Tides.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Glass Mystery Find Dated 1876.
I have one good high-priority detecting site, but I can work it only when things are just right, and that is rarely.  That is where I'd prefer to be spending my time, but I have to wait for the right set of circumstances.

While waiting for the chance to get back to my preferred site, I went out to scout for other promising spots.  While scouting around,  I found some glass items of interest that gave me an approximate date on a somewhat promising site.   I hope to detect that site as soon as I can.

One of the finds was the glass mystery item shown above.  I don't know what it is or which side is supposed to be up.  The bottom half (as shown in the photo) is void with just the open ended cone extending up into it.  The top half is solid other than the opening that goes through the central part.

Below are two additional views - one from each end.

Opening Into Hollow Side.


Opening That Extends Through The Solid Side.
This is the side that has the patent date on it.  It is difficult to see but clearly reads NOVR 1876.

Any ideas or help on what this is will be greatly appreciated.


Helping to date the site, another item of similar age was found close to the above item.

Boericke and Tafel, New York Bottle Find.
This one was easy to research.  It would date to between 1869 and 1883, so it seems the site might provide some late 19th century coins.

In 1869, F. E. Boericke and A. J. Tafel formed the partnership under the name of Boericke and Tafel. Together they bought the pharmacy and book-publishing business of William Radde in New York City. A. J. Tafel moved to New York to manage the business.

l
In 1883, F. E. Boericke, in ill health, retired from the partnership. A. J. Tafel formed a new partnership with F. E.'s sons, Felix and Frank. In 1901, Adolph L. Tafel, the son of A. J. Tafel, entered the business.

Information from: http://julianwinston.com/archives/bt/bt_history.php

---


A copy of a letter by Christopher Columbus that was stolen and replaced with a forgery was returned to the Vatican.


---

I adding bottles to my TGBottleBarn.blogspot.com website.

We're definitely into summer conditions now.  There will be more small surf this week, but we are getting some nice high and low tides.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net