Sunday, June 10, 2018

6/10/18 Report - Three Finds - Two of Which Represent Caches Found in Florida.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

1939 Walking Liberty Half From a Large Florida Cache Find.
I received this coin as a gift this weekend.  It is from a Florida cache that was found by one of the readers of this blog who kindly presented it to me.  I've mentioned the cache but not with many details.  The cache contained thousands of coins.  This, of course, is just one of those.

Reverse of Same Coin.
I very much appreciate this gift and the many kindnesses offered me by the readers of this blog.

---



Sunoco Antique Car Coin.
Find and Photo by John E.
John E sent me the above photo of a find he recently made.  It is a Sunoco antique car coin or token.  They were made by the Franklin Mint in 1968.  There was a set of 25 that you could collect.

It just happened that I had three of those that I had been looking at recently.

Three Sunoco antique car tokens.
Two are nice and bright but the third has a dark patina.  The date under the car on each coin is the date of the car - not the coin.

They are made of a very light metal.  Feels about the weight of plastic, but must be aluminum or something.

Thanks John.

---

Yesterday I posted a 1922 Canadian nickel find.  Here is another foreign coin find from the same cache.  This cache is not the same cache that yielded the silver half shown above. This coin, as you can see, is also dated 1922.



25 ore coins were made in countries such as Iceland, Norway and Denmark.  This one is from Denmark.  I've found them in various denominations on South Florida beaches, but I don't remember ever finding this one before, but I'm not sure now.

The obverse indicates Christian X.  Notice the small heart on the bottom left and 1922 bottom right.

25 Ore Coin Find.
These were issued 1920, 1921, and 1922.  Luckily, the 1922 is said to be rare.  I've seen them for sale on the internet for something like $20 to $30.  This one is in nice shape.

One funny thing about the coins in this particular container is that the U. S. coins were older and very worn, while the foreign coins were of a somewhat later date and generally in better condition.

---

I have a couple topics that I plan to post about in the next few days.  One is swindlers in the metal detecting game.

The other topic is shipwreck artifact distribution as discussed in a maritime archaeology study.

It is hot and sandy, but you can always change and adapt.  There is always some place to hunt and something to find.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net