Tuesday, June 19, 2018

6/19/18 Report - Philip V Half Reale Monogram. Mystery Item. Artifact Web Site. Undersea Cables.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Illustration of  a Royal Half Reale Showing the Full Philip V Monogram
In the past three posts I showed half reales carrying the Philip V monogram and a couple with very incomplete Carlos II monograms.

You usually don't see an entire monogram on a half reale and especially not a weathered half reale found on the beach, but if you know what they look like, you can spot pieces of the monogram on many cobs.

The three Philip V reales that I showed in the last three posts each showed a different piece of the monogram.  The mint mark and partial date on the first gave a good idea of what the monogram would look like.

Below are parts of two separate cobs.  The top one (the one I just referred to) shows the left side of the Philip V monogram on a Mexico minted half reale, while the second shows much of the bottom of the monogram.  Using the common parts, the two images can be combined or overlapped to show much of the monogram.  They can be oriented by using the dot and the angle joining the P (in red).


The third Philip V reale (below) that I showed yesterday shows much of what the second reales shows plus the top of the S.


All three of these were minted in Mexico, and all three are Philip V half reales with very similar monograms, and all three were found on the same beach on the same day.

None of these ones show the crown. 

I was very happy to see that I labeled each of these so I knew when and where they were found.  Not all of my finds were so well labeled.

Some other time I'll look at the Carlos II monogram and some of the finds from other days.

As the results of one of my blog polls showed, if you find one, the chances are good that you'll find more than one during a hunt.

---

I just received the following email concerning the recent mystery object. Mark said, I believe  the glass item with the cone, is a fancy inkwell. The pen would rest in the hole,  cone side up and any excess ink would run back into the container. There was probably a cork in the non cone side hole. These could actually be flipped over, cork side up without spilling ink "cone down". Try it with water.

I collected and dug bottles here in North Palm Beach county back in the late 60's and 70's

Thanks Mark.  I have seen old ink wells that look much like the mystery item from the outside.  I'm still puzzled by it though.  You might be right.

---

Brian B. sent the following email and link.

I was reading up on some old musket balls I found in the palmettos -trying to get an idea on the dating and saw a bottle section on this site, Thought I'd send it your way....THanks Brian 

http://sgtriker.com/bullets.htm 

It has a lot of good information on a wide variety of types of artifacts.  Worth checking out.

---

Here is an interesting article on undersea cables.


---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net