Friday, June 29, 2018

6/29/18 Report - Mexico Half Reale Cob. Chocolate Salary. Fort Michilimackinac.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Another Mexico Half Reale From John Brooks.

I went out to the beach yesterday (Thursday) afternoon to see what was going on.  Fort Pierce is done with the South Jetty renourishment project.  The the beach is over a hundred yards wider now.  I was thinking about how just a few weeks ago, the water line was so much farther back and how beaches grow and recede, even without the help of man.  People were sunbathing where they would have been swimming before, and where people were swimming before, there was tnow ons of sand.  My bet is that the beach was farther out in centuries past, because that would have been before the inlet  and jetties that causes most of the erosion in that area.  It is good to remember that the shoreline could be very different than it was a hundred or two hundred years ago.

I then went down to John Brooks beach.  I would have taken photos, but the battery on my camera was dead.

There were two salvage boats working the Nieves site.  One was north of the beach access and not too far out, and the other was all the way up by the condominiums to the north.

The beach front was very mushy with recently accumulated sand.  Still, I saw one guy detecting the weed line.

Other Side of Half Reale Shown Above.
I can usually figure out what part of a monogram I"m looking at, but not in this case.  I just can't determine the orientation or which monogram it is.  It looks very odd.  Maybe some cleaning would help.

This is another one that I failed to label with when it was found.  I do know where it was found, but only because I know the cobs that aren't from this beach.

I probably won't show anymore of these for a while.  I was just showing why it is so important to label finds well.  It is much nicer when you know where and when things were found.  For all I know, the unlabeled cobs that I showed the last few days could have been found on the same day.  On the other hand, they could have been found in completely different decades.

---

The ancient Maya never used coins as money. Instead, like many early civilizations, they were thought to mostly barter, trading items such as tobacco, maize, and clothing. Spanish colonial accounts from the 16th century indicate that the Europeans even used cacao beans—the basis for chocolate—to pay workers, but it was unclear whether the substance was a prominent currency before their arrival...

Here is the link.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/maya-civilization-used-chocolate-money

---

Among the most-recent finds are sherds of a white, tin-glazed earthenware jar, sherds from two different blue and white Chinese export porcelain vessels, and a fragment of beaded English creamware.
However, Dr. Lynn Evans, curator of archaeology, said one of the most unusual artifacts in the group is a brass thimble with a small hole punched in the top of it...
Here is the link to that article about an excavation of Fort Michilimackinac.

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/rare_brass_thimble_colonial_ce.html

I've found a good number of thimbles on various Florida beaches over the years.

---

A just posted an embossed Doctor Pepper bottle in FGBottlebarn.blogspot.com.

There is a lot I could talk about, but I don't have time right now.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net