Thursday, May 9, 2019

5/9/19 Report - Finds, New Mystery Item and Newly Solved Mysteries. Small Surf Increase Coming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Beaded Leather(?) Bag

This bag is about five inches high and has slots for a draw string.  It seems to be made of some type of skin.  I'd guess leather, but I don't know that.  The beaded ends on the bottom are just a touch larger than a silver dollar.

Other End of Same Bag.
Many of the beads on this side have come off.

Same Bag Opened Up.


Notice the slots at the top that could be used for a draw string.

Here is a crude drawing of the shape of the bag with dimensions.

---

The bag appears to be old.  You can see that the material has deteriorated.  It cleaned up very well.

I've never seen one of the same shape, and wonder what it was meant to carry.

Anyone have any ideas on it at all?

---

Wind Chime.
Source: Pinterest
Sent by Mitch K.
Concerning the item that looks like a compass rosette, Joe D. had this to say:  Trina O's item looks rusty, like tin or iron! Not corroded like copper or brass! The only iron of any kind in a real compass would be the needle! Also, with the hole in the top, it looks like a decorative hanger of some type that blew off its string or wire!  Good thinking Joe.

Mitch King sent a picture ( right) of such a decorative item on a wind chime.  That photo really nails it down for me.  


It is an ornament for a wind chime.  See the photo to the right that Mitch sent.

Thanks Joe and Mitch!



I also got some answers for the small copper items that looked like they exploded.

Mitch said they are copper bullet jackets.

Joe D. said,  The exploded items may be full, or partial metal jacket rounds with the lead or other interior metal composite melted out, so the typical mushrooming the would make it more recognizable as a bullet is missing! Those would be copper or copper alloy! And if casings, would be thin hollow brass! But they look more like bullets to me! 

Later, Joe said they could be tracer rounds, which would have a hole end the trailing end.

RinkRat said they are fired black powder primers. they go on a nipple that sticks out of the rear of the barrel. These replaced the pan of earlier black powder guns.

Good work guys!   

I also found percussion caps and a percussion hammer, and another item.  I'll show a picture of that one in a second.

As a result of those replies I got out a copy of my Dixie Gunworks Black Powder Guns, Shooting Supplies and Antique Gun Parts Catalog.  I once picked up the catalog in a thrift store for a dollar.  It has been very useful, as it was today.

Source : Dixie Gun Works Catalog.
I also had a nipple cap or cover and didn't know it.  It is the little copper cap sitting on top of the cylinder right in front of the hammer.  I didn't know what it was but never paid much attention to it outside of  wondering what it might be.  So not only did you help me with the item I posted, but you also helped me identify a find that I didn't post.

I'll have to put all these items together in one place now.   Thanks for your information and what I just learned.

Joe D. also said,  With the addition of the picture of the back of John E's item, i think it may be part of a larger decorative item! It looks like copper with a copper wire soldered on the back! If its an earring, its missing the attachment for the ear! Maybe home made item! 

Thanks again guys.  I'm still very unsettled on this one.

Joe also said he enjoyed the brain teasers.

One other thing I found while looking through the Dixie Gun Works catalog is shown below.  I have one but didn't know about it either.  I thought the curved knife was for cutting rugs or something.

Source: Dixie Gun Works Catalog.
If I run across either the nipple cap or knife I'll post photos.  I know I saw both of them recently.  I saw the nipple cap just a few days ago.  Maybe I've already posted one or both of them, but I don't remember for sure.

---

I forgot to add some more tips for scooping up hard to recover items.  I'll probably get back to that in the near future.

Still planning to show a large find of modern gold bullion coins when I can.

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com

As you can see the peak surf has slipped back a half day or day.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net