Friday, May 10, 2019

5/10/19 Report - 3000 Ancient Coins Found by Deterctorists. Beach Conditions on the Treasure Coast.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Roman Coin Hoard Found By Detectorists.
LINCOLNSHIRE, ENGLAND— The Sleaford Standard reports that a cache of early fourth-century A.D. Roman coins was discovered in eastern England by metal detectorists Rob Jones and Craig Paul. Paul assisted archaeologists Adam Daubney of the Lincolnshire County Council and Sam Bromage of the University of Sheffield with excavation of the more than 3,000 copper-alloy coins. Daubney said the coins were found in a ceramic pot buried in the center of a large oval pit lined with quarried limestone...

Here is the link.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/7643-190509-england-roman-coins

There is always more to find.

---

John Brooks Beach Early Friday Morning.
I visited some beach some beaches this morning to see if anything was going on.  My first stop was at John Brooks.

The water had been high.  It washed over the first berm and hit the remains of the old cliff behind that.  Sea weed and sand was washed up onto the beach.

John Brooks Beach Friday Morning.
There were some small cuts where the water hit the old deteriorated cuts.


Frederick Douglass Beach Friday Morning.
Frederick Douglass beach also had seaweed and accumulating sand.

Small Dip In Front of the Beach.
I'm not sure which beach this is, but it is one to the south of Frederick Douglass.  I wanted to show the nice little dip in front of the beach.

Walton Rocks Friday Morning.
This is Walton Rocks.  Again, more seaweed and accumulating sand.

The beaches that I saw were all pretty much the same.  The water had been high, but the angle wasn't good and sand was getting washed in.

---

Once again I wish I had stored and labeled finds better.  I learned a good bit about black powder guns in the last two days that I wish I had known before.  I now realize that there are a number of finds that are probably associated.  I'm going to put my percussion hammer, nipple cap and percussion caps together.  The percussion hammer stumped me for a long time.  It just didn't look like any gun hammer that I was familiar with.  I would have recognized a more modern hammer or a flint lock hammer, but I didn't know much of anything about percussion hammers.

I'll also get back on the subject of bullets and shell casings before long.  I got some more emails on that.  It looks like the exploded copper items I found and posted are not of the same era as the black powder gun parts.  I think they came from the same beach area though.  It isn't unusual for items of different ages to be found together.  I'll expect to have more on that tomorrow.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net